Hazard perception.

Guest Godmac

Does anyone know how the test actually works?

I did a mock up and scored 0 for a lot because, and I quote 'cheating'

How can it possibly know when you've noticed one thing if 2 are going on at once?

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Doug.

From what I remember, when you spot a hazard you click the screen (anywhere on the screen, doesn't have to be at the hazard point). You would be classed as cheating if you basically go click to many times i.e one click every second or so or if you clicks are too rhythmic i.e once every 2 seconds for the whole video.

I hope this makes sense.

There are a few good links online to practice but sounds like your finding them. Some of them show you the solution and when you should have clicked.

Basically each clip contains several potential hazards but only the one that materialises into a real hazard that involves other road users is marked. This is called the “developing hazard”. You'll only receive a score if you spot the developing hazard before it materialises involving other road users. You'll know when this happens because the driver/rider will have to take evasive action (e.g. slow down, stop or swerve out of the way).

The score you get will depend on how quickly you've spotted the 'developing hazard'.

If you click the mouse just as the hazard appears on screen, you will obtain the maximum score of 5 points.

What I did was click when I saw a Hazard once - A kid playing with a ball at the side of the road.

Then if it looked like something was then going to happen, click once again - Kid loses control of the ball.

Then I'd click once more again if it developed further, causing evasive action - Ball bounces into the road.

Clicking once for each stage of a hazard, rather than continuously through the hazard should ensure you get points for the clip but not disqualify you from that clip for clicking too often.

Apparently there is a certain maximum number of permitted clicks for any clip. However, they say this is far higher than the potential hazards anybody could reasonably perceive.

This site is good to look at if you want more info and tips: http://www.theorytestadvice.co.uk/hazar ... n-test.php

Don't click on "potential" hazards, only click on those that "develop".

Or to put it another way, only click when the hazard would cause you to check your mirrors (as you would if you thought evasive action, steering or braking, might be needed) - then click for mirror check, and click again for brake or steering input.

yep I found sometimes I click 'too early' grrr

So I would click when I thought I saw the hazard, and if it developed further I'd click it again just to be sure it'd registered.

Its a bloody stupid test if you ask me, just practice practice practice and you'll start to learn the trigger spots that they're likely to have picked to place a hazard (double parked cars, pedestrian crossing, bus stops etc etc)

Its a bloody stupid test if you ask me, just practice practice practice and you'll start to learn the trigger spots that they're likely to have picked to place a hazard (double parked cars, pedestrian crossing, bus stops etc etc)

Or... practice practice practice and you're more likely to spot a developing hazard in the real world and that might just save your life... which makes the test slightly less bloody stupid if you ask me :wink:

On the actual test as soon as the video starts count 2.5 seconds and give it a click, then at every 2.5 seconds interval thereafter but not more than 14 times on one video clip.

This is only a trick to pass the test but you should know how to anticipate a hazard though to be safe on the roads so would say just do it to pass the test :) if you want

Or... practice practice practice and you're more likely to spot a developing hazard in the real world and that might just save your life... which makes the test slightly less bloody stupid if you ask me :wink:

I passed my car test 11 or 12 years before the bike test (no hazardous perception when I did car) and was clocking 50k a year driving all over the country at the time of my bike theory. I like to think I know what a hazard looks like!

Although i did find it a PITA, I did pass it the first time by the way. I think more training combined with a 'real life' based test (no one drives like they're on test for more than a week) would do better. More for cars than bikes, just because my instructor on the bike did a bit more real life stuff, filtering, going a bit quick (not silly...but overtaking etc)...basically we did a couple of hours of advanced training. But that might have just been my instructor

I did a hazard perception test for my car licence back in 2007 and again for my bike licence in July :oops: The only advice I would give is not to study the clips too hard. The developing hazards tend to stand out like a sore thumb e.g. a clumsy parent with a pushchair who walks into the road without looking, a large lorry pulling out suddenly etc.

I did a hazard perception test for my car licence back in 2007 and again for my bike licence in July :oops: The only advice I would give is not to study the clips too hard. The developing hazards tend to stand out like a sore thumb e.g. a clumsy parent with a pushchair who walks into the road without looking, a large lorry pulling out suddenly etc.

I agree. They're all pretty obvious... apart from the bast*rd sheep!!!!! :twisted:

Some clips do in fact have multiple hazards which you are scored on, never seen a clip with more than 2 though.

The best way to do it, click when you see a hazard, not just a developing one, is it getting worse? not just are you getting closer, click again. oh shit im going to need to brake soon, click again.

You are scored on a scale that is pretty much some thing like this

seconds building up to the hazard.

1--------2---------3--------4-----

/////////////////////////////

Click within the green zone you get 3 points, yellow 2, red 1. you are aiming for getting a click on the green zone, seeing the hazard early. doesnt matter if your last click is on the red, you will still get the 3 points. So its best to click a few times just to make sure you are getting a score, but only if you see the hazard is getting worse.

You are clicking too many times so thats why you are getting told you are cheating. you should probably have around 6-8 clicks per clip,