headlamp bulb change on BMW

bmwdave

Having recovered from the shock of paying £9 for a bulb, I can't work out how to remove the old one. Its a fully faired BMW 1200RT, I've removed the cover and connections from the old bulb, but cannot work out how the thing is taken out. There's a clip over the back of the bulb, it looks to me like it swivels down from the top, but because of the fairing I cannot look at it directly, and am working by touch although I've had a poor view of it using a mirror and torch, but I cant look at it and get my hand in at the same time. Basically, does anyone know whether I release the clip top or bottom, and exactly how? Squeeze the sides together, just pull, or is there a little catch button I haven't found. I don't want to damage it or pay the garage just to change a bulb.

Thanks guys

Got the little bas----d. Stupid instructions in the manual are wrong - says turn bars to left to get best access to the left hand bulb, but next section for right bulb ALSO says turn the bars to the left, one paragraph just had to be wrong. Turning the bars let me get a direct look at the bottom of the fitting and I could see how to release them, still not easy as cant look and touch at same time. Now just have to warm up again.

I now work on the logic that the letters BMW stand for their approach to designing anything; Better Make it Weird. Nothing is straightforward! Nothing! Of course it's absolutely beautiful when it's working properly, and the sheer purity of design overexcites me an unhealthy amount, but really... Mine doesn't even have fairings and you still have to dismantle the whole front of the bike to change the ruddy bulb :roll: Although I'm told it can be done with minimal effort if you have hands small enough to excite Rolf Harris. I can't even reach the bloody headlight adjuster my hands are so big :lol:

better to get used to doing this task in daylight!! sods law kinda dictates that when a bulb is going to go 'pop' - it'll happen at the most inopportune time.. like on an unlit road after dark. At least its unlikely both will die at the same time.

if you're going to keep the bike then it might be worth your while to put a bulb kit together. I have one of these for my GS and will in the next few weeks do the same for the 800. I favour Motorworks for these - a H7 from them is £6.90. my kit will consist of a headlight, 2x Indicator, parking light and tail/brake light. these should fit under the seat together with a screwdriver. (for the indicators and tail light)

A kit like this is in my opinion an essential.. but is also a legal requirement in some european countries. having spares 'on you' is a lot better than having to go on the hunt.. particularly if some of the bulbs aren't freely available.