Key won't turn in the ignition?

Guest #clueless

My bike had been left in the rain for 2 weeks. On Saturday I took it for a ride, the key took a little wobble before it would turn, on Sunday it took about 10 minutes wobbling before it would turn and today I stood there for half an hour to no avail. I thought maybe it was because of the rain so I attempted to clean out the barrel.. I tried WD40 which didn't work and then brake cleaner which also didn't help. Anything else I can try or does it need replacing?

A squirt of WD40 down the ignition.. as well as the other locks is part of my maintenance schedule. both bikes live outside. can't say I've ever had a problem with dirt as the WD40 will flush it out. reason i do this is to prevent the problem the OP has had.. though in my case that problem tends to happen in mid winter when its freezing. The WD40 as well as cleaning the ignition displaces any water thats happened to find its way inside so theres nothing to freeze solid.

Haha ok I will try a pencil tomorrow. It's a kawasaki, second hand but I only bought it two weeks ago so it's a bit of a bummer if I can't fix it myself. The key will turn to lock, just not 'on'.

Have to pull the key out a fraction on the Speed Four too so it sounds like it isn't manufacturer specific. As it happened after rain though its more likely to be water related. May take a little time for the WD40 to penetrate

Success!! Tried again tonight and the key turns! Obviously trying after a few hours last night wasn't long enough, it needed a whole day :P thanks everyone, I'm so relieved :D