Totally up to you of course, but why not get your full license and then just buy a smaller engined bike? There are also lots of 600cc bikes that aren't savagely fast (mines just over 80bhp!)..seems a lot of extra uneccesary stress and cost to do your tests twice!

Hi ste. I realise your mind is made up, but have you thought of passing your A licence to get it out of the way and then pay some extra money on advance training? As Edd says there is nothing stoping you getting a smaller engines bike. Just my thoughts.

Thanks Ste! Starting off with an insult :P

I went straight from my CBT onto a 600. I took my CBT in December and passed my DAS in January. Loving every minute of it.

Having a larger bike made me feel a hell of a lot more comfortable than on a 125. The bike only goes as fast as my wrist makes it go.

Anyway I'd say just get the full license and then either buy a lower powered bike or just control your wrist :).

I am also 31 and doing the A2.

My reason being is I don't like the 600cc - just too heavy for me and I just do not feel comfortable on it. The 500 is perfect and I am in no rush. I currently ride around on a YBR125 so anything I get next will be a step up. I am happy to take my time and build up, maybe I won't go for the full licence but I would really like bigger tyres!

the difference in weight between a 500 and a 650 is really very little. e.g. if a 500 is falling over and you're a little off balance, you're going over just the same as you would on a 650! it's all about balance.

of course it's entirely up to you, but the power difference between a 500 and a 650 shouldn't be enough to put you off your full A license and going unrestricted. You have a wonderful speed governer in your right hand which will prevent you from going too quick!

Please don't rule out getting your full license. you will spend £600 now to probably spend £600 in a couple of years time when all you need to do is spend £120 for a few hours with an instructor on a larger capacity motorcycle. you could also invest the money you save in a course to help you become a better rider.

You might think you're doing this the right way by slowly stepping up. In my opinion, you're spuffing money into the wind.

It is the same test and the same cost for A2 or A licence. I am a short 8 stone weakling and took my A test on a 650 without too much trouble. I then had a 750 Virago which is pretty docile and i enjoyed it but have now stepped up to a 600 Honda Hornet after one year. In my opinion you are just throwing money away taking the A2. Do the A test and buy a smaller bike, simples! :wink: