Couple of Issues

MissBex

Went out today, did a 20min loop round some local backroads. (It's roasting out there today!)

Stopped back home, Got off bike with it still running, checked it, Turned bike off - No coolant from overflow! Smile So took a ride up to a Tesco's, got some lunch and then came home again - No coolant from Overflow! Very Happy

So it's looking promising to me. Very Happy. Gonna go on a ride with some other local lady bikers up to Sunny Hunny at the weekend so that'll be a longer test, but feeling positive and relieved :cheers:

Did you find it difficult to fit it?

Well actually, I was surprised how easy it seemed. Because there was 2 of us, it wasn't so bad because when the rad was unscrewed the fan is still attached and the wire goes up under the tank somewhere. There wasn't much point in trying to take it off as well, so I held the rad whilst my stepdad unscrewed the fan from it, then he held the fan so it wasn't hanging from it's wire and I pulled the rad out, then I took hold of the fan and rested it on the towel I'd put over the front wheel and he clipped it on so it wouldn't fall etc... Then I held the new rad whilst he screwed the fan onto it. So with teamwork, I'd say it's not really a difficult job.

Too good to be true.

Hi again all, so after the new rad replacement I took it out and it was great. Then 2 days ago I rode a hour to the coast and back again and still fine. Today I go down to town, stop in the car park (Of doom! where It first happened) And there comes the coolant again.

But I had a look there and then and noticed it isn't coming out of the overflow. It's dripping down from somewhere else. I tried to trace it but hard to see properly. Think I'm gonna have to try take the tank off.

I've put a short vid together to show what I could see:

">

the thermostat is up near where you pointed out the dried coolant it could be a loose hose or leaking stat housing

I had a leaking stat housing recently and it cost me pennies for a seal but 5 hours to get to the frigging thing!

get that tank off and have a look

Ok, thanks for the advice guys. I might have someone coming over at the weekend whos pretty savvy with bikes if he's free, and hopefully he can help me.

the thermostat is up near where you pointed out the dried coolant it could be a loose hose or leaking stat housing

Someone else mentioned that on the Hornet forum too.

I realllly hope it is something like that, that is not so bad.

What I'm gonna do tomorrow is get it out and do that the test where I let it sit running and heat right up and see if I can spot where it comes from.

I've just done the test to let the bike sit idling and warm right up. I let the fan kick in twice and checking all around the bike - no coolant. I turn the bike off - no coolant :/

I think I should take it out for a ride around and see if it does it then perhaps..

The entrance to that car park does have a big speed hump that you have to go over, surely that wouldn't have had any relevance?

Go for a long ride, then go home, quickly rip the tank off and locate ze problem!

Tanks not to hard just make sure you remember what hose goes where.. Also less fuel = easier, just took mine off with a full tank and it weighs fookin loads!

The entrance to that car park does have a big speed hump that you have to go over, surely that wouldn't have had any relevance?

Fo' Sho'. If you get coolant splashed up in to the overflow then yes, this could well be a cause.

Fo' Sho'. If you get coolant splashed up in to the overflow then yes, this could well be a cause.

It's just a bit odd that it didn't come out of the overflow tube though by the looks..

Here's an updated vid from yesterday - I took it to that car park again. (Skip to 2:30 to see)

">

I've washed the bike and got rid of the coolant dribble marks from inside the area around the engine, under the tank and will check if there's leaking from there after long ride around, hopefully tomorrow.

If I can manage to do it, will sitting the tank loose or slightly swiveled round enable me to get a better look down inside that area? I don't have a stand yet (Hoping start of next month :D) so not sure if loosening the tank is stable to do on side stand.

Well, it did a puddle again. So I got it home and really had a proper look around it and decided to trace the routes of all the tucked away hoses.

Look what I found!:

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/DSC_0006_zps7mfo2zvm.jpg

It was tucked down a part of the engine under the tank, this was where the coolant was dropping out from lol! Apparently it's supposed to connect to the coolant reservoir/header tank under the seat!! So I traced the hose from the reservoir and sure enough, there it was (Also routed under the tank):

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/DSC_0006_zpswkfmynga.jpg

These two route and connect under the tank, so I took took the bolt holding the tank down out, lifted it and wedged a thick torch under it. I had just enough room to fit my hands under to route & connect them. :D

Hopefully that'll have solved the issue, finally! Fingers crossed :thumb:

Lets hope that's an end to the problems. The thing is where that pipe is, there wouldn't always be coolant flowing through it freely anyway which probably explains why conditions had to be right for it to leek.

Maybe now you can enjoy some rideouts and no longer fear 'The' carpark.