cleaning chain best methods?

stantheman

Chain cleaner (or parafin), toofbrush

Fixed that for you :mrgreen:

Hahaha, I know I always say teef and toof, but usually only in my dental posts...saying it in general comments I thought might just make me look a bit too f**kin special (more so than usual!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought some new stuff at the weekend. Muck off chain cleaner. Works a treat, spray some on all round the chain, leave for a couple mins then go back to it, spray some on the brush of your choice and brush away applying to wither chain or brush as you see fit, comes up spotless. Once all done then lubricate, and for this i got some wd40 chain lube.

Ok not the cheapest of stuff but the chain lube is anti fling and seems to be great at lubing and not attracting grub, and the cleaner looks like i will be able to clean my chain another 5 or 6 times, so yes its £12 but works out about £2 a time which i can live with

Cleaned my chain yeasterday. Paraffin + 3 sides brush. Dry with cloth. Gear Oil + 3 sides brush. Have 2 brushes, 1 for clean, 1 for lube.

Paraffin 7.99£ (4L) 1 time use, around 50ml. Homebase

Gear oil 12£ (1L) 1 time use, around 50-80ml Amazon

Brushes with 3 sides 2 for 4£ Ebay

Cloth, girlfriends T shirt.

Works well.

I get my bike up into 5th gear so it doesn't vibrate so much, whilst using a cruise control clip on the throttle to keep both my hands free. Spray a liberal amount of wd40 onto the chain then use a wire brush to get rid of the rust. then lots of the local rag to get the grime off. then drip clean engine oil on.

take cruise control clip off then bring the bike to a stop. get off and check you've cleaned it properly if not get back on and take it for another spin.

I get my bike up into 5th gear so it doesn't vibrate so much, whilst using a cruise control clip on the throttle to keep both my hands free. Spray a liberal amount of wd40 onto the chain then use a wire brush to get rid of the rust. then lots of the local rag to get the grime off. then drip clean engine oil on.

take cruise control clip off then bring the bike to a stop. get off and check you've cleaned it properly if not get back on and take it for another spin.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You use a wire brush and rag whilst hammering along in 5th Gear!

Amazing!

:tumble:

I had my first go of cleaning the chain of my bike a little while after I bought it the end of last year. I used the Muc off chain cleaner and one of those 3 sided chain brushes with some cardboard behind the chain to catch the spray and muck from going everywhere else.

http://www.motopsychos.co.uk/ekmps/shops/motopsychos/resources/image//CHBBSH02.jpg

I don't have a stand (Still!) for my bike so I have to roll it forward/backward to move the chain around - which isn't really ideal.

It did come up looking lovely and clean, I patted it dry with a clean dry towel/cloth and then I used Wurth dry chain lube and let it sit overnight. I rode it the next day and sprayed some extra on after the ride.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k539/bexyboo88/Bikes/013small_zpsbxzwqbxn.jpg

Unfornately over winter it seems to have taken it's toll on it (I think washing the bike a lot and the water not drying quickly as it was too cold and not reapplying lube enough has made it rusty :( (And it's is stored inside)

I need to see if I can sort it out soon - I really need to get a stand for too to make it easier.

At it's MOT last month the guy said the chain could do with lubing and that it was a little "tight" so he lubed it with stuff that looks very wet/oily but I've noticed it seems to have picked up quite a bit of grit some I'm thinking clean now and put dry lube back on again(?)

Ride to my lock up so the chain is warm.

Put down some cardboard and roll the bike onto it.

Lift the back wheel with an axle stand.

Spin the back wheel and rub the chain with a dry brush to get off grit and crud.

Spin the back wheel and liberally apply WD40 to clear away the grease.

Slowly move the back wheel round and wipe the chain dry with a rag.

Slowly move the back wheel and apply your lube of choice.

Tidy up and ride home.

I use Silkoline as it copes well with the wet and lasts in poor conditions. But it makes a mess.

Best method:

Bike on centre stand, start it up and stick it in first, then wipe the chain with a thin cloth as it goes around the sprocket :twisted:

Cringe!!!! Hope you dont need your fingers

Bike on center stand or paddock stand and clean then rotate then repeat, does a proper job gets all the grime and crud from inbetween the links rather than brushing over the rollers.

To lube thechain theres nothing wrong with starting it up and letting first gear do the rest as your not touching it

Kit you need.

A couple of cat litter tray's. Any cheap type.

A brass wire brush from your local shoe shop.

Paraffin.

Used but clean jam jar.

An old paint brush.

Get the back wheel up. Either on a centre stand or a paddock stand. Cat litter tray' under chain. Paraffin in jam jar, paint brush in Paraffin. Paint on Paraffin. Leave go get a cup of tea. Come back do the same again. When you think you are ready. Go to work with the brass wire brush. Rinse with paint brush and Paraffin. Repeat again until clean.

Work's every time for me.

John933