Gsxr 600 srad 1998 electric fault

mmalik

Hi All,

Here is an update:

Ordered, charged and installed a new battery this morning before work. Bike fired up and it was great BUT I decided to check if it was charging, stuck a multi meter across the terminals as the bike was running at 3000 revs and there was no charge, it was steady at 11.99v, surely that does not sound right, should it not be around 13v???

not always the stator could be the reg/rec gone down as well i would go with that first and pull the wiring plug apart to check if the connections have burnt out which is often the case
if the reg rec was faulty when he checked he would have been getting around 15-16v as the voltage would have been rectified, problem sounds like the stator isnt charging the battery

not always the stator could be the reg/rec gone down as well i would go with that first and pull the wiring plug apart to check if the connections have burnt out which is often the case
if the reg rec was faulty when he checked he would have been getting around 15-16v as the voltage would have been rectified, problem sounds like the stator isnt charging the battery

only if it is allowing a charge through it which bad/burnt plug connections wont

when a reg/rec goes it can stop power going through as well as putting too much power through

an easy check it to test the AC at the wires to the reg/rec from the stator

you should see around 70 volts on each of the 3 wires

Ok here goes, if I used the multi meter correctly then I got the following results:

Stator wires: I got approx. 60v from each of the wires.

R/R wires: I got a range from 0.350 to 0.360 and then when I crossed the multi meter probes over I got no reading.

Not 100% sure that I am doing it correctly but watched a couple of youtube videos and copied them.

Your reg/rec is shot

If you have 60v at the stator wires that is working fine

I thought it may be. I shall double check again just to ease my mind.

Further advice please, you all have been extremely helpful.

What would you recommend, a used genuine r/r or a new pattern part. Both are being sold on an auction site?

Can I ask a very stupid question. If the r/r is showing readings where it is supposed to as per videos, not as high readings though but reading all the same. Then how can the r/r be faulty. Am not second guessing anyone, just would like a better understanding.

Checked the stator again and definitely getting 60v @ 5000 and 70v @ around 5500

the reg/rec is electrical ......electrics are a law upon themselves if the readings aren't right its screwed :lol: :lol:

I must say though where are you taking the readings? from the pins on the reg/rec or from the back of the multiplug where the wires go in?

check the wiring to make sure its not a wiring fault first if all looks good then get a reg/rec

the reg/rec is electrical ......electrics are a law turnstiles if the readings right its screwed :lol: ::

I must say though where are you taking the readings? from the pins on the reg/rec or from the back of the multiplug where the wires go in?

check the wiring to make sure its not a wiring fault first if all looks good then get a reg/rec

Am getting the readings from the front of the plug, on the pins themselves. Have checked cables in that location and none look burnt out or melted.

if at the battery are only getting 12 volts still with engine running at about 3000rpm then the regulator has failed or the wires inside the plug have burned out which is fairly common

Yes, only getting approximately 12v no matter what revs.

it most definitely points to your reg/rec been shot

I would be replacing it if it was me

my gsxr600 did the same when I had that some 9 years ago

Will be ordering one first thing in the morning.

Will keep this post updated and thank you all for your help and advice.

New r/r had been installed, seems to start a lot better. Put meter on and it seems to be charging at idle at around 12.90v - 12.95v, when I Rev to 5000 it drops 11.65v. Is that how it should be?

No!

the volts should be increasing not decreasing!!

check the voltage coming out of the reg/rec again at idle and high revs!

make sure all connections are good too!

No!

the volts should be increasing not decreasing!!

check the voltage coming out of the reg/rec again at idle and high revs!

make sure all connections are good too!

Engine off: 0.750 approx.

Engine idle: 0.795 approx creeping up to 0.810+

Engine @ 3500: 0.999+

something is not right!

you have got the multimeter set to DC volts right?

if you have 60v at all three wires at the input then with a new reg/rec you should see 14v or thereabouts

something is not right!

you have my got the multimeter set to DC volts right?

if you have 60v at all three wires at the input then with a new reg/rec you see 14v or thereabouts

I check again in the morning. Will borrow my brothers meter as I am not 100% about mine. Brand new fully charged battery only reading 12.26v. Connected to bike shows only 11.96v but bike starts first time no problem.