First chain maintenance - done

tPIC

Today I carried out my first chain maintenance jobs on my CBF. This is my first bike and I'm now at about 1400 miles.

Clean, tension and lube. Took about 45 minutes including doing an oil change. Quite satisfied with it. Looking at the end results, the chain was in a pretty poor state beforehand - it's come up fairly nicely. I think this is something that I should do more regularly from now on.

What's the normal schedule that you guys follow?

I have a brand new chain and sprocket set sitting on the shelf in the garage. Can't be bothered to fit it at the minute as the old one is actually still in decent condition once cleaned up. I may get round to it after winter this year though with a few more extra service bits

You should be checking it every time before you ride, you don't need to get down on your knees just give it wiggle with your boot after doing it a few times you'll know how it should feel. Then it depends how much you ride as to how many times you need to adjust and lube it, aim for weekly or whenever you feel necessary.

Cheers for the advice all. I think I'll check every ride and carry out the maintenance every 5-600 miles. Should have it looking brand new before I know it! Good news was that the chain stretch indicators showed that it wasn't very stretched at all as yet.