Optimate 3 V's Optimate 4

Phooey

Ok so what is the difference between the Optimate 3 and the Optimate 4 apart from the extra £'s for the 4?

Any reason why I should choose the Optimate 4 over the cheaper model?

If you can get the 3 at a better price then go for it, the only substantial difference is the new '4' is suitable for newer bikes that run a CanBus system. So, unless a brand new bike (particularly a BMW) is in your sights theres no point. and even if there is, you can still use the '3' by simply connecting the lead direct to the battery. I have a '3' and I wouldnt bother chopping it in if I were to buy a brand new bike.

With Canbus the power socket on the side of the bike is controlled by the computer.. it isn't always 'Live' so.. plug a '3' in and the computer will disconnect the socket after a short amount of time. The '4' has a way of stopping that from happening, so the socket isn't disconnected and the battery can be charged as normal.

But in either case and for an older bike its best (in my opinion) to use one of the leads you get with the '3' one end goes to the battery terminals, the other end you just stash somewhere you can get at.. and you plug the charger into that. Its just a little more convenient than exposing the battery every time you want to charge or stick it on 'maintain'.

Excellent. Cheers, Shorty. :cheers:

I can get a '3' for £50 and most places I have looked a '4' is £60 +. I would like to get a new bike but persuading the missus isn't that easy :)

Optimate 3 on its way I think then. :D

Edited by Phooey