Parking by supermarkets

Ati

Is it completely legal to park just by the window of Asda, Tesco etc, on the path next to a road, or shouldn't you be using car spaces, if the motorcycle car park is unavaliable, will I get a ticket if I do so? See a lot of people do it.

I tend to only park on the pavement if there are no yellow lines near it, and I can leave more than enough room for prams and wheelchairs to get past.

No tickets and noone has yet to tell me off for doing that.

I also park in the bicycle parking/racks at one retail park car park. The wardens activly encourage bikers to park there, or any other paved, out of the way bit so they can get more money from car drivers. Bike parking is free :-)

No it's not legal to park any form of motorised transport on a pathway.

Usually if you are not causing an obstruction or hazard you'll get away with it.

Varies from place to place.

Chester for example will give you a ticket for it.

There was a couple of spots you could park a bike in ( both were bicycle racks) , but now you will get a ticket.

Other places don't bother.

I would park in the areas with the highest footfall. It's all too common for supermarkets to put the motorcycle parking around the corner and out of sight. If this means taking a car parking spot... so be it.

I normally pull up on the pavement right by the door... never been stopped or questioned about it.

i do the same at motorway services stations too. park as close to the entrance as possible.

I got a ticket for parking on the pavement outside Johns of Romford! They own the strip directly outside their window where they park their bikes but I was on the pavement. :cry:

I put my whererever I feel safe leaving it. Either in the motorcycle bay if available or on the path because I know leaving it in a space some twonk will no doubt smack into it.

No it's not legal to park any form of motorised transport on a pathway.

This isn't a hard and fast rule. e.g you can't do it in London or the town that I live in, but you can in Plymouth. It depends on the council I believe - noting that double yellow lines carry across to the pavement.

Anyway, enough of legalities, they bore me.

Personally I do it anyway, depending on the layout.

If you can park and two mothers with prams can still pass each other in the gap you've left, people with their trollies arent going to knock into the bike etc then it should be fine

the thing is, most supermarkets have car parks, so any pavements just outside the doors are owned by the supermarket themselves, and they can't ticket you for parking there and probably won't bother asking you to move (unless your causing an obstruction or customers complain)