Bike test

Hi and welcome to the forum

and thanks for the donation so soon :thumb:

no you dont need to buy a 600 to do the test on

use a training school who will have a bike for you to do the test on

this way they will iron out any faults ready for test standard plus if you screw up and drop the bike its not yours :wink:

basically yes

you can do it all off your own back but you will need to buy a bike and somehow get insurance for it even though you dont have a licence then you would need to get it to the test centre which means a van or a trailer as you can't ride it there

are you confident enough that you could pass the test without any further training?

when you think the DAS cast around 5-600 quid you can't go wrong really as there is no real big lay out unlike buying a bike etc

It is possible to do but its more of a pain in the arse and the initial lay out of getting the bike too

the insurance is the hardest part as most companies won't insure you without a full licence and those that will would charge the earth and then it probably wont drop when you pass in most cases it can increase!

its your money at the end of the day but I recommend using a training school plus you will get to iron any faults out as I say :thumb:

Ahh I see!

Thanks for the information.

I was curious why I just couldn't do the test without direct access, but insurance on a larger bike with no full licence is a good point.

I guess direct access is the way!

Do you know if training schools do the direct access over say 3-4 consecutive days, or if you can do say.. monday, wednesday, and friday or something to fit around work.

I'm pretty sure the days of 3-4 days and you have a licence are now long gone!

I think there is a waiting period between mod 1 and mod 2

and I also think you cant book mod 2 until you have passed mod 1!

I cant bee too sure on all that though but someone with more knowledge will chime in :thumb:

I havent worried about all that seen as though I passed my test over 12 years ago and there was no mod 1 and 2!!

I just did 2.5 days and passed :)

You can book both at the same time, normally a day apart, but tutors don't like to do it because they like to have time to cancel incase you fail your mod 1, I believe. Stu may well be right though.

A lot of tutors do cheaper 3 day classes, but they generally only recommend that for someone who has a lot of confidence on a geared bike and or commutes on a 125.

I passed on a 3 day course. I did a lot of commuting previously but I reckon if you're already an experienced car driver most can pass on a 3 day.

Do you know if training schools do the direct access over say 3-4 consecutive days, or if you can do say.. monday, wednesday, and friday or something to fit around work.

Sure you can. I did mine over about 3 weeks, with one or two days a week. I paid for 20 hours up front, then could book that in half-day slots when it suited.

Did my DAS about a year ago

Need to star the process with your theory test and hazard perception.

After that you can book your Mod 1 and Mod 2 right next to each other, however I advise against doing this as Mod 1 is generally for most people that harder of the 2 exams and if you fail you lose your deposit for the Mod 2.

Most companies training will be 1/2 to 1 day for Mod 1 going around the obstacle course a few times focusing on all areas and a few practice tests.

Mod 2 will likely be minimum of 2 days riding about the local area you will do your test.

If you have any questions about either post them here or feel free to PM me.

My theroy is booked, I should be fine with that. Been driving car 10 years so road sign questions ect are fine and most of the bike related questions seem straight forward.

Will have a look at doing DAS I think

Best option, no retesting or waiting for a few years riding experience, just done, can keep a 125 then without L-plates woop woop.

If I did the test without DAS, just though Gov.uk website ect.. and I passed the test, Would I have a restricted licence, or would it be the same licence as if I passed doing DAS?

that depends on the bike you do it on

if you book the full unrestricted test and use the appropriate bike then you will have a unrestricted licence

if you booked the unrestricted and turned up on a bike thats not suitable I could possibly see them refusing to test you are doing it on a restricted licence

in short right bike for the right test = full licence

Ahh ok. I have decided I will defo do DAS.

Without the DAS, I would have to get a 600cc size bike, and would not be able to learn on it without having an instructor with me, which would be a pain in the arse! So I am going to do DAS, where I can use their bike, and have full days doing the course with the instructor!

Indeed.

It will be at least a month before I can book it any how :( Just want to get my plans straight to what I'm going to do!

My theory test isn't until 14th October :( Had to book it around work rota and ended up being a month away!

600 is a good starter big bike. I went from a 125 to this 600 but after my DAS I felt confident enough to ride it, I will probably give it a few years before I upgrade to something but even then it will likely be a tourer rather than a sports bike :D Rather be comfy than get my knee down.

You do the DAS on a 600 though don't you?

I would think that would give a little confidence at riding on your own 600.

I don't want anything bigger than a 600 for a fair while! I'd be more than happy on a 600 I think. As long as I can happily keep up with traffic on the bi-pass or motorway (when i get to motorway stage!) doing 70, i'd be happy, im not after great deals of speed!

Would you say a ZZR600 would be suitable for a first 'big' bike?

Generally you do the DAS on a 600, I did mine on an XJ600.

600 will do you well as a starter. easily to 100+ if you need it to.

Not sure about ZZR600 never owned or know anyone with one, I can recommend a bandit though :D

• 2 weeks later...

Did mine on a 650 Gladius. I was unsure on what size of bike I would be comfortable on before my DAS. Had been looking at Ninja 300 at one point. I found the Gladius a really beginner friendly bike and have gone and bought a Street Triple R now which is 675.

I'd say by the time you've done your tests your confidence will be much higher and you'll be comfortable on your 600 bike!