Move gears to handlebars?

Merlin

I am not sure if this has been discussed before, apols if it has :oops:

I have just come out of hospital having had my left foot amputated and am looking to convert my Suzuki Marauder 125 to have the gears on the handlebars. :lol:

Would I be better buying the kit and getting a mechanic to do it for me? or risking getting ripped off by asking someone to get the kit and do the work? I have rebuilt a car, but I have very limited knowledge with bikes. Having already lost part of a limb I don't want to risk an accident by cocking up this adaption by attempting to do it myself :wink:

I have looked on the NABD site and they can supply the kit at a discount (through a grant scheme) though it doesn't say what the cost is :? It says that the kit comes with simple, idiot proof instructions. I am thinking I might be as well getting the kit and seeing how "idiot" proof it is, and if it is too complicated, perhaps asking my normal MOT mechanic to fit it for the cost of the labour. Does that sound reasonable? I have spoken to him this afternoon, and he did say it was something he hadn't done before, but if it is simple, for a mechanic, it would be a string to his bow, if the kit was supplied, and not unreasonable to ask?

What do you think? :?:

nabd are normally really good with the kits and being able to put you in touch with someone who can help with the modifications so if you havent actuall spoken to one of the guys there it might be worth a call to find out just how much you are looking at to get it sorted good luck and hope you get otu on the open road soon

Thanks eastanglianbiker. I was going to contact them next week, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts this weekend. I am an impatient bugger!

I have traded in my YBR 125 for a twist and go 125 scooter, so at least I can get out and about as soon as I get medical clearance (and something to stick on the end of my leg to keep the draught out of my trouser leg)! :lol:

I have already adapted both bikes to carry my crutches - I asked on here for some advice on what kind of clips to use and "jobs a good 'un", as we say up here!

:cheers:

If they are anything like the stuff you see on some race bikes, it'll just be a couple of buttons on the handlebar linked to an actuator that's attached to the shift leaver which is all wired to the bikes electrics.

Thay're pretty simple technology - the only slightly tricky bit looks to be the placement of the actuator. They go for around the £5-600 mark. Definitely worth a bash of you're handy with a spanner. :-)