Suspension going soggy

bonio

I think this might have been posted before...

I've got a two and half year old R1200GS WC TE. Done 26k road miles. I'm only 9st 7lb, and I tend to ride with the damping set stiff, as it allows the bike to be pushed a tad harder.

And now - well in fact, over the last 3 or 4k miles, the suspension has become soggy. It's the rear that seems particularly bad: the bike wallows more in corners and recently it's started to bottom out when going over a bad pothole. The forks have become a bit softer too, but tbh I don't notice it much. But the rear is seriously underperforming. I've started riding with the preload wound up another notch to stiffen the bike up a bit more.

Occasionally the missus comes with me on the back, and yesterday we went out for a spin (preload at max) and she commented on how the suspension had changed a few months ago, and this has brought me to my senses and made me realise I need to get something done. The bike used to be magical and it's become a bit ordinary.

But the question is - what to do?

From reading what I have found online, it sounds like either a suspension rebuild (probably MCT at Stowmarket) or replace with Ohlins for a longer-lasting more wallet-busting solution. Are there any other options?* And any advice? I'm a numpty with a wrench and quick find myself out of my depth on any Haynes task rated at more than two spanners.

---------------------------------------------

*"Sell it and get a green bike" is of course another option :wink:

Let MCT at Stowmarket fix it. They transformed my bike from skittish and hard to "plush but sporty" in a couple of hours. The handling and comfort has to be ridden to be believed. Darren will explain precisely what the problems are, the best way to cure them and after carrying out the work he road tests and sets up the bike to suit your reqirements.

I don't have any connection to MCT, but I highly recommend them.

the only spannering you would need to go is to remove the shock which is easy the hardest part is supporting the bike which is easy again as you have a centre stand :lol:

If you can afford a new rear shock I would go that route and get the front looked at too

A fork oil change will make a little bit of difference and new springs even more of a difference

Thanks for the tips.

MCT are booked up to September which is :crybaby: sad.

However new tyres yesterday have completely sorted the unpredictable wobbly feedback I was getting and bike is now smooth and gorgeous again. Phew. The old tyres had done about 10k miles. They hadn't gone very square, but I wonder if they'd lost a bit of rigidity as they had got thinner. Anyhow, a new pair of Pilot Road 4s now. Happy days.

The suspension is a bit soggy still and it will need a rebuild at some point, but the good news is that I've got a bit more time to sort what to do and when.