Making a thumb brake.

kernel gadaffi

With having a prosthetic lower right leg, I have little or no feeling to operate the rear brake, I know Mick Doohan used a thumb brake to very good effect in the 90s, I'm looking to make one or have one made, I've seen the cost of the ones made by engineering companies and can't afford it, has anyone made one them selves or know anyone who could make me one that won't bankrupt a small country?

ALan.

Hi Alan, I take it you have looked at the brake kits through the NABD grant system , are they too expensive still, did look myself but they don't give prices, did see the double lever on E-bay OUCH :shock: nearly £1200, I see what your up against, but will keep looking

Saw this one http://www.speedycom.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=16708&cat=655&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also

http://www.smokn.co.uk/left-hand-rear-brake-evaluation-by-chris-moss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and fitting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaXcG3WzFxY&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't help with who could make you one but will say that thumb brakes are still used in motogp today. Dovisioso springs to mind as a prime example.

Good luck in your quest :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi, l see you have not brought a bike as of yet, have you considered looking for a bike with a linked braking system? I know Honda and BMW have them on some of there models, well worth a look at rather than fitting a hand operated rear brake which originally designed for racers who had foot injuries, this was then used by the others when they realised they could still use the rear brake whilst leaned so far over where normally it was not possible for the foot to get to the lever. Best of luck on finding the right bike

• 1 month later...

Hi all, sorry I've not been on for a while, t ' internet issues. I've bought a bike, a 96 Bandit 600 and I'm having a thumb brake made from Suzuki rear brake system, it should be with me on Thursday, get it fitted then I'm up and running.

Just have to sort some brake hose and brake fluid.