nut too tight!

Muddi

ok with the risk of sounding really girly here - how the hell do you get off a nut thats sooooo tight i cant even move it a tiny bit!!??

Im trying to change my oil but the nut is just soooo tight - yes im trying to turn it the right way! to the left or anti clockwise - err that is right aint it lol.

Its the first oil change so its not rusted up or anything like that but I just cant move it! please dont say air tools as i dont have any!!

ive had similare issues before, what i did was i whent out and got a breaker bar and then used that to get the nut off, but also remember wonders of wd40, if you use that, then liberally spray it, i mean literrally spray it untill it drips a good amount, then once you have it off, spray the nut itself,

that should help keep it from doing the same in the future

cheers guys will try the lovely wd40, never thought of that - tho i usually use it on rusted nuts, and was thinkin about a bar breaker or similar!

also rememeber that wd40 works very well in cleaning electrical connections, and as a general bike cleaner, and its great at getting road c**p off of white alloy bike wheels :D :D :D :D :P

Hi the sump plug is normally is not that tight. be sure you have the right bolt and the right tools for the job. make sure to have the right size socket plus a power bar, best done with a warm engine, it should come loose easy with this. On completion remember to fit a new copper or alloy washer and tighten up to the correct torque setting for the bolt. If this is the first time you have done this then a torque wrench is a must. Too tight and you'll crush the washer and maybe strip a thread, to loose well, we don't want to even go there!! Hope you manage to sort it, fair play for having a go. If you need any more help get intouch.

regards

chris

Watch your knuckels when you try and shift it ... its dead easy to wack your hands on the deck if the socket comes off suddenly .... (gloves might be an idea)

If you haven't already got one, a Haynes manual will give you the torque settings Chris was on about ...

And, check wot setting you need before rushing out to but a torque wrench.

In an ideal world, buy two - to give yourself a broad range of settings ..

The short stumpy ones tend to be best for "fragile"ish stuff ..

And the longer ones for when you can apply more oomph ...

Lots of stuff on bikes are made out of alloy ... So the torque settings tend to be low'ish...

Last tip - get some of the disposable plasticy glove thingies ... forget proper name .... You invariably end up getting oil on your hands doing an oil change ... and apart from the mess, its sposed to be carcenogenic (sp)..

:D

I do need a torque wrench as I aint got one! My fella had all the tools etc but I dont have any - as used his lol

Just been trying to use a spanner and the crappy socket thing that came with the bike! NEED proper tools! lol :roll:

Got some of those surgeons gloves Ed lol

Used to have access to all the proper tools but my my ex is still away, so cant get to any! :roll:

Cheers Nigel - might just have to take you up on that offer!! Where abouts are you?

Oh and whats the best oil to use?

Have got a couple of new tubs of various types of engine oil knocking about the garage , wanna make sure put the right stuff in lol

ok with the risk of sounding really girly here - how the hell do you get off a nut thats sooooo tight i cant even move it a tiny bit!!??

Im trying to change my oil but the nut is just soooo tight - yes im trying to turn it the right way! to the left or anti clockwise - err that is right aint it lol.

Its the first oil change so its not rusted up or anything like that but I just cant move it! please dont say air tools as i dont have any!!

Is that a left handed thread chinese nut ? :roll:

Oh and whats the best oil to use?

Have got a couple of new tubs of various types of engine oil knocking about the garage , wanna make sure put the right stuff in lol

the oil type various from bike to bike, generally speaking most bikes take 10w40, what bike is this oil for, and i might be able to find out for you

Ta hunni

its a sanya 125 - 11 yeah a chinese jobbie! :roll:

friggen socket thing that came with the 'tool roll' is fecking useless - its that crappy soft metal stuff - went to see mummy n step daddy and borrowed a 16mm socket and a bar - had to stuff it up my coat as on the bike lol - got wet coming home as its now raining - got bike into garage onto centre stand and the friggen socket is 1mm to small!!! :twisted: bollox!!

Cant be bothered going back out in this rain now! will have to do it later lol

Edited by Muddi

Guest markchris
Ta hunni

its a sanya 125 - 11 yeah a chinese jobbie! :roll:

friggen socket thing that came with the 'tool roll' is fecking useless - its that crappy soft metal stuff - went to see mummy n step daddy and borrowed a 16mm socket and a bar - had to stuff it up my coat as on the bike lol - got wet coming home as its now raining - got bike into garage onto centre stand and the friggen socket is 1mm to small!!! :twisted: bollox!!

Cant be bothered going back out in this rain now! will have to do it later lol

If its Chinese, can't you send out for one?

Ok sorry, in a daft mood. :oops:

Well I waited even moved bikes about so you could do the oil in the garage.....

Nevermind it will get done.

Nigel

I did a oil change over a drain on the road once just incase I spilt any :lol:

Guest nigelf

Nigel

Dont tell fibs... you have a hard enough time finding where the ignition key fits.

:)

Nigel

Nigel

Dont tell fibs... you have a hard enough time finding where the ignition key fits.

:)

Nigel

Well it was when I was 18 and into bikes and how they worked etc. :oops:

Woohoo Ive done it..!!

Nothing the right sized spanner and a can of WD40 couldn't sort out! :lol:

Nice new oil is now in my bike!

Cheers for the offer Nigel of using your tools etc anyway! :D

Woohoo Ive done it..!!

Nothing the right sized spanner and a can of WD40 couldn't sort out! :lol:

Nice new oil is now in my bike!

Cheers for the offer Nigel of using your tools etc anyway! :D

How many miles you done mudds?