Back protection

No it isn't.

It can be beneficial in some circumstances, but in 99% of crashes it makes no difference and in many crashes it has been the cause of paraplegia and tetraplegia.

Can you expand on this? You seem to be saying that having a back protector is worse than not?

I have covered this in some depth in the past. In some cases a back protector can actually be the cause of severe injuries, especially those that are worn as a seperate item as opposed to those built into leathers (or textiles) and is made of memory foam.

The same rules apply to a seperate back protector that applies to a helmet. Fit is all important. If it doesn't fit right and can move around as you slide down the road, it can ride up and break the neck. It has nothing to do with the quality of the protector but the poor fit, poor knowledge of retailers and riders placing too much emphasis on a back protector being the be all and end all of protection. We actually had fewer spinal injuries and papraplegic injuries when kit was not as sophisiticated as it is now back in the day. The only thing that has improved significantly is the severity of head injuries, and then it is not down to the helmet but the poor fitting, being sold the wrong size in the first place, poor dealer knowledge and people making statements of fact based on what a mate says.

Back protectors falls into that bracket.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF PROTECTION WHEN OUT ON THE BIKE!!

No it isn't.

It can be beneficial in some circumstances, but in 99% of crashes it makes no difference and in many crashes it has been the cause of paraplegia and tetraplegia.

ok

• 2 weeks later...
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF PROTECTION WHEN OUT ON THE BIKE!!

No it isn't.

:roll:

:tumble:

Interesting. Think I'll stick with the Knox CE protector built into my jacket then. Not that I was thinking of buying a separate one, when you actually use your bike as transport not a toy you don't need any more kit to get on and off every day.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Interesting. Think I'll stick with the Knox CE protector built into my jacket then. Not that I was thinking of buying a separate one, when you actually use your bike as transport not a toy you don't need any more kit to get on and off every day.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My bike is only a toy. So my leathers are pretty much only "outfit" when I am out on the bike. Unfortunately they do not have anything build in apart from some knee sponges or something :D Whoever design my leathers wanted them to look pretty not useful! I did search for jacket with built in protector but couldn't fit in anything that look decent :( Having back protector is pretty much only protection I have as my leathers are just purely not up to the game I am playing...