Bridgestone BT021

nigelwood1

Priced a set up yesterday ..

At Appy's in Keighley ...

Seem a wee bit steep to me, I'm gonna try DPS on monday ...

120/70 17 £87.54

150/70 17 £111.00

Including VAT...

Plus: £50 fitting, and 3 pounds summat or other disposal charge ....

I might see if a 160 section would be cheaper, as my Zeph has a 160 on now at no detriment to the handling -- ie thinking 160 might be cheaper, being a more common size ....

:D

Guest markchris

120/70 17 £87.54

150/70 17 £111.00

Including VAT...

I might see if a 160 section would be cheaper, as my Zeph has a 160 on now at no detriment to the handling -- ie thinking 160 might be cheaper, being a more common size ....

Had a new 020 Fitted at BFM in Baildon..£85 including fitting. Usally take my own wheels off but just couldn't be bothered this time, so much easier to ride in ride out.

They're as cheap as anywhere, also 'Bike Tryes Leeds' are competitive.

Not that well up on the latest tyres, but because I'm not a knee down merchant and always have lad on the back, I opted on the shops advice for the 020..They grip well enough for me and hopefully will give decent mileage.

The Aprilia had the original tyres on when bought 'Pirelli Super Corsa's.'

The back lasted to 4300 miles and the front 4700 so they haven't done too bad.

My rear 020 lasted 7500 miles, the front is still OK for a few more k yet.

Although not as adventurous as Nickki when riding my speeds were improving along with my cornering skills.

I recently had the rear replaced with an 021 and since then I don't feel half as confident as I was before.

I have just been out for a 150 mile jaunt and I was riding worse than I was a when I first passed the test.

The bike felt choppy, the rear seemed to step out a couple of times even on relatively straight roads. I will re-check the pressures and the suspension settings but the last two actual ride-outs have been far less enjoyable than I had hoped.

I don't know if it's down to the tyre or just me having an off day, but something didn't gel.

Guest markchris

You have to scrub them in you know? New tyres always feel as if you're riding on glass..The Aprilia felt awful when the front first fitted, but fine now I've done a few miles on it.

They were already scrubbed in before I met you at Squires - they didn't feel too good then, but I put it down to the newness.

I have been commuting on it too, so for it to still be twitchy today makes me wonder a bit.

BT 021's are great, I have an 020 rear and an 021 front the front is great wet or dry. I am not the fasted rider around but I make reasonable progress, and I weekend commute from london to matlock up the M1 so needed a tyre that would last as well as give me some good grip at the weekend! Hence they are fitted to the gixer.

My final point is this, when the rear wears out then I will be fitting an 021!

Guest markchris
Like I say, it could just be me.

But you're an exception, there are not many 'Pan' riders around in full leathers who get their knee's down on every corner. Maybe you need to think about an upgrade. R1/GSXR/ZX

But you're an exception, there are not many 'Pan' riders around in full leathers who get their knee's down on every corner. Maybe you need to think about an upgrade.

If I ever get my knee down it will be followed quickly by my shoulder and head!

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/snagglepuss_album/Kneedownpan.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/snagglepuss_album/ouchpan.jpg

Para, might be because the sportstouring tyre struggles with the pan. Mind you I am basing this assumption on no facts whatsoever but its as good as any other guess.

Bridgestone did say that they have made the 021 sportier than the 020 but also increased the wear!

I didn't actually specify the 021 but as the front one didn't need changing I couldn't really put a Dunlop on the back.

If I was wealthy I would have changed them both to the Dunlop profile - maybe next time.

I quite like the look of the Dunlops, the tread looks as if it means business.

120/70 17 £87.54

150/70 17 £111.00

Including VAT...

Had a new 020 Fitted at BFM in Baildon..£85 including fitting. Usally take my own wheels off but just couldn't be bothered this time, so much easier to ride in ride out.

They're as cheap as anywhere, also 'Bike Tryes Leeds' are competitive.

Not that well up on the latest tyres, but because I'm not a knee down merchant and always have lad on the back, I opted on the shops advice for the 020..They grip well enough for me and hopefully will give decent mileage.

The Aprilia had the original tyres on when bought 'Pirelli Super Corsa's.'

The back lasted to 4300 miles and the front 4700 so they haven't done too bad.

Ta for that MC .... Hadn't thought of BFM .. will see what they're like for price of the morrow ....

Dunno about the Leeds one ... I usually get lost in cities :lol: :lol: :lol:

Except the bits I'm used to anyway ....

I checked the tyre pressures and had a little blat - it seemed less choppy.

If tyre pressures are so critical why, oh why, is it so frickin difficult to check/inflate the buggers? :damn:

Have to say for me its Avon Tyres.

I've got Avon Azaro 3 fitted to the old zx10 They have deepest tyre tread by far, and give me plenty of confidance wet or dry. Done 5000 miles now and still look fresh.

Bimota fitted with the Avon Vipers, again gave a far better ride and feed back than the original Pirelli's.

he's a link below that might be of use:

http://www.motorbike-tyres.com/#avon

Have tried Pirelli's on my old bike which were ok but not confidence inspiring.. However the bridgestone BT014 were fantastic.. I have a BT020 on the back at the moment and a dunlop 208 on front.. Front is basically fecked but the back has a couple more thou in it..

I like the dual compound Idea as I have got about 3500 miles to do in just over 4 weeks time when I do a circuit of europe for a week.. So plan to fit new rubber before I go and will most likely go for BT021..

• 1 month later...
Like I say, it could just be me.

Well don't I feel silly :!:

After disparaging the BT021 I had on the rear wheel I just discovered it's a BT020!

So all that crap about the 'new' tyre feeling twitchy ..... I was just me after all :roll:

Just got back from 2400 miles through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, Luxemberg, Belgium and france again.... Yes it was a big loop... :booty: Ow my arse hurts still... :booty:

The BT021's performed brilliant.. In 40 degree heat and pissing rain they were flawless.. On the amazingly bad, rutted, pot holed, cobbled and basically a 500 mile tarmac motocross track I had no problems... :bike2:

Scraping footrests with full panniers and top box and her indoors on it was hilarious... :thumb:

If your looking for a good sport/touring tyre then the BT021's are excellent..

They still look like new after 350 miles a day in 38 degree average heat and travelling at 90mph plus on the autobahns for best part of 1600 miles... :beer2:

Can't fault em.... :thumb: