what to do (that is the question)

Guest toothe

<t>well...</t>  

6 members have voted

1. 1. well...

• new bike
    • keep bike
    • 2nd hand bike and keep your bike

ok im on my lunch hour and i can finally get onto the forums without being filtered.

my question is (if) when i pass my test do i : -

BUY new bike on interest free (can afford the payments and insurance no problem if i trade my bike in)

keep my bike for 4 months and get 1 years no claims (will need new chain sprockets brake pads, service is due and clutch is slipping occasionally)

keep my bike and buy a 2nd hand bike to run side by side.

i dont have a car, its my only transport and i will be doing 10-20k miles per year.

o yeah lol, ybr125 :P

In that case, I want a new option on your poll :lol:

Trade your bike in against a second-hand, but newish bike - I generally think

its wiser to gain experience on something that won't lead to tears if you happen to drop it or gain one or two scuffs ....

Or ... Sell your YBR privately - that's how you would get the best price for it!

How's that for an answer :?: :D :wink:

well ybr has 11000 miles on the clock and is 8 months old. dealer will give me 1400 against a new fazer but only 800 against second hand. this is problem i want 2nd hand but your talkin 3k for a decent 2nd hand bike and then there is no parts and labour and interest free + i will loose 600 quid trade in. not sure yet. is bloody hard descion.

well ybr has 11000 miles on the clock and is 8 months old. dealer will give me 1400 against a new fazer but only 800 against second hand. this is problem i want 2nd hand but your talkin 3k for a decent 2nd hand bike and then there is no parts and labour and interest free + i will loose 600 quid trade in. not sure yet. is bloody hard descion.

You don't need to spend 3K to get a decent bike -- especially if you're willing to buy privately.

Although, buying privately does afford you less "come back" if anything goes wrong ... Having said that, if you buy carefully, get HPi check, and buy a bike with a good wad of history and/or receipts you're okay most of the time.

There is also the depreciation aspect to think about - you will lose X £££s the minute you ride the bike off the forecourt if you buy new ...

But, you have to balance that against the good points of having a brand spanker too ...

I would sell the YBR privately, and buy a second hand bike for 2 to 2 and a half thou - you should be able to pick up a gem for that money - from a dealer or privately ...

For your money, you will always be able to get cheaper/newer privately ..

Just depends on personal preference really, and how much dosh you want to spend...

Fazers are quite revvy too ... read the road tests before you buy. Look at the MCN website :idea:

Whichever is thew best deal you can afford..they giving you less trade in cos your spending less.

Other than that sell it yourself!

The only decision otherwise is wether you want new or old!

Then take the relevant deal..also with the old you could insure tpft until you build up NCB.

yeah thats the thing that keeps coming to me. tpft on a decent 2nd hand bike. guess i better get me test out the way.

would love a new bike but might be best to go 2nd hand, cant see me getting close to the 1400 for my bike tho. 07 plate ybr 125 12000 miles bit of rust on back and exhaust is badly rusted, and then it needs new pads and chain + sprockets. the dealer will do it all for free obviously lol.

yeah thats the thing that keeps coming to me. tpft on a decent 2nd hand bike. guess i better get me test out the way.

would love a new bike but might be best to go 2nd hand, cant see me getting close to the 1400 for my bike tho. 07 plate ybr 125 12000 miles bit of rust on back and exhaust is badly rusted, and then it needs new pads and chain + sprockets. the dealer will do it all for free obviously lol.

Would it be any good to keep it as your "commuting" bike :?:

Depends on the length of the journey etc obviously ... 125 wouldn't be much fun for a long trip ...

:D

dont think it would. next yaer back to uni and there is a bus straight there if the weather is really shit lol. i know its not ideal but ...

i can use my new mp3 i am buying for jogging lol