Yamaha YBR 125 Custom - Not starting in Hot weather

member1351

Hello,

My YBR Custom 125 (2010) won't start whenever left under the direct sun - when moved to shade and tank cooled down, it will start straightaway ... Googled the issue, it seems to be a common issue with Fuel pump.

I wonder if any of you YBR 125 owners experienced the same issue?

Anyone used an aftermarket fuel pump to rectify this issue?

What brand & how much roughly?

I am keen to not replace mine with anther pump that may fail for the same reason.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello mate,

Yes, I have.

The only way to get it back up and running is either a long standing in shade or a bucket of cold water on tank!!

I have read that some other owners also used wet towel to cover the tank.

With the greatest of respect , this dosen't sound very convincing to me . Countless thousands of these bikes operate in countries that are far warmer than the UK particularly the Far East . A bike that won't start unless you chuck a bucket of water on it ? Surely not .

Trust me, I could not believe it myself.

And I check everything on it when it happens:

- Battery New

- Starter fine

- Kick start won't help either

- The starter tries and tries - but nothing

- All the wiring intact and spot on

- Center stand / side stand switch all working as they should

- Tank full

- Spark plug new

- When tank temp goes down - it starts first attempt

Please Google the model/issue - see how many owners experienced the same thing.

First time happened to me I ran every single test on it not knowing that the heat might have been the issue!

Ok , I get what you're saying but what do people think is the physics behind this phenomenon ? If it isn't pressure related then what else could it be ?

Ok I've had a good look on the net and I'm sure that you have too . Looks like a very widespread and well documented problem but there are no quick fixes .The problem seems to stem from the fuel pump itself . The good news is that there are loads of aftermarket fuel pumps on eBay that are cheap as chips . While you are waiting for one to arrive I would take the old one out , blast a load of Carb Cleaner or even WD40 down the nozzles and stick 12 volts through it while whacking it gently with a hammer . That might wake it up a bit .

If it's vapour lock (Fuel Injection was supposed to help stop that) try opening your Petrol cap, turn on ignition ,dont start the engine (or try to) and let the pump run, do this at least 5 times , it might help to force any gas out of the line.

But when the issue arises, the pump doesn't do anything. No noise, no movement.

It however it becomes alive after the cool down period!

is it a carb or fuel injection model ? can you disconnect the fuel line from the petcock if it has one and see if any pressure is released.

It is a fuel injection model. I can't see any petcock.

Interestingly, I thought of doing another test. It was all working fine and firing up in my garage all morning.

Took it out to the garden & put it under the sun for an hour or so. Now it won't start, it is not particularly a warm day but it is sunny here in Berkshire (the tank got warm under the sun). The fuel pump doesn't make any noise whatsoever when the ignition is ON! Nothing!

I have not moved it back in the garage yet, so I could investigate a bit further.

I have just disconnected the battery to see that will reset the Fuel Pump by any chance (long shut but I thought worth a try).

It could be the fuel pump, if it's getting hot enough for it to seize up, it might be worth stripping it down and giving it a service :thumb:

The battery trial didn't solve it as expected. The bike is back in shade!

OK, that will be the next job. I wonder if it is worth swapping it out to an aftermarket Fuel Pump while stripping it!

One good thing that came out of the current national restrictions for me ... is playing with this toy and testing all these things. I was probably going to get stuck on a country lane waiting for a recovery truck, had this been an ordinary day!

Edited by member1351

I had a problem with my starter motor on the CG125, i got a refurb kit for it for a fraction of the price of a new one, you might be able to get one for the pump, have a look on wemoto they are pretty reasonable for spares :thumb:

Excellent! You are a star mate.

In the meantime, I called my local dealer (their workshop), the engineer said this is a known issue for YBR 250 and there had been recalls but didn't think YBR 125 had the same issue. He suggested contacting the HQ (via email) as they might offer sth!! I will give that a try too!