servicing cagiva

Guest planet_125

hey i know my cagiva planet needs brake pads so this made me think it probably needs more, its got around 20,000miles on the clock, the oils been topped up regularly, should i been getting anything else done too??

It could probably do with a top end rebuild (Costs £150 but its worth it). If its already had one recently then have a crank case engine rebuild. The crank case seals wear out pretty fast after 15,000 miles. It will probably cost more but either will improve the engines life drastically.

Its not much to pay. I only do 3000 miles a year so I didn't have trouble forking out on it. The other option is just to splash out £300 on a new engine and spend 5 hours yourself fitting it and start again. Gives you the chance to run it in your own way and get 15000 miles before a top end rebuild is needed.

brilliant well to be honest the top end rebuild i would imagine in that case need doing and the same with the to other crank thing lol im quit lucky as a friend is a mechnical and quite handy with doing cheap jobs at home, so ill try to get a quote....with a re-build is it litterally as simple as it sound e.g take it all apart, clean it and put it back together or is it take it apart see whats needs replacing and replace it lol?? thanks

Some parts can't be seen as being visually in need of replacement. The crank case seals for example. Mine blew, there was a sudden loss of power and the rear wheel locked up momentarily making me drop gears quickly and pull in.

The only advantage is to this happening is that your bike will still function but it will stutter past 7000rpm and won't gain power and half speed will be lucky. So you can wait for the seals to go but its more risky because the back wheel can lock up under the severe decceleration so just be prepared to suddenly brake and clutch in. Pull over then limp home.

If the top end blows then be prepared to push it home. If you look after a 2-stroke properly which it sounds like you have then give it a top end rebuild every 15,000 miles or so and the engine will just keep going.

Taking it apart is a good idea especially to decarbonise the cylinder, which is easy to DIY every 5000 miles. Its a one hour job.

brilliant thanks alot!! at the minuite the choke cables snapped, its still there but rather than it being connected to the switch its just kind of hanging so i just have to pull it, is this just a simple case of buying a new choke cable and easily fitting it?? also on the dials a few of the lights are lighting up e.g petrol light, indicator light. however on the same dials some lights work e.g neutrel and main beam, could this just be bulbs or something more serious??

Buying a new choke cable will be easy to fit. Its easier when you get a new lever with it for easier fitting but you can just put a new cable in where the snapped one was. Also the lights that aren't lighting up on the panel is due to a bulb failure. My neutral light failed to. I just went down to Halfords and bought a new one for £2. And its worked for over a year so far. The panel doesn't detect when there is something wrong apart from low fuel or oil. Its usually you that finds out something is wrong when the bike plays up.

Try to find a cagiva dealer. I'm sure they can get the parts in. A Cagiva planet is basically the same as a Cagiva Raptor. If not phone up various garages and ask if they can get the parts in.

Hope to see you riding one day when I get my 125cc 2-stroke :D

I'm down to three bikes

1) Aprilia RS125 - new model

2) Aprilia RS125 - old silver/grey limited edition model

3) Cagiva Raptor 125

4) Aprilia RS250

Still thinking about it hard. The Raptor is great for taking 2 people which i will be doing alot with friends living all over the place and taking an extra person always comes up. The old RS125 is great because it can be sporty but carry 2 people easily and comfortably and the new RS125 is great for one person but not so good for 2 people.

all depends on what u want out of a bike i suppose buddy.....new problem lol the lad im buying the bike of was supposed to be fixing but now doesnt have time, the speedo doesnt work he says its just a broken speedo cable, but could it be alot more complicated than it sounds??

To be honest I think it would be just easier to get a set of nice new clocks just to make it your own. They are easy to set up. If they are new clocks then there are usually instructions to help you hook it up. If it is just a set of clocks for the same model then just simply connect the wires to the same place the other speedo was connected to.

Tell the guy to fix the speedo otherwise you won't pay full price. Simple say "look, i know your busy but you did say you would fix it up, i'll give you full price if you fix the speedometre". Just keep it simple and civil. Just to change their mind. 8)