1991 Kawasaki AR125 (two stroke engine problem)

Guest richardosborne

Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum, and actually fairly new to bikes. I've bought a second hand Kawasaki AR125, first registered 1991, it has a strange problem I can't track down.

When the bike is started, it sits idle at about 1000rpm, when you open the throttle it jumps up and very slowly drifts back down, settling at 3000rpm instead of 1000rpm, sometimes it will come back down to 1000 but generally it sticks at 3000.

Any suggestions to why the rpm come-down is so slow, or why it sometimes settles idle at 3000rpm?

Im not sure what you mean but it comes down slowly?

Does your idle drop bellow 1000rpm and stall sometimes?

Try giving cleaning the carb a go. But if you do, do it properly by taking the carb off rather then having your bike running and spraying carb cleaner through but be careful you don't knock the mixture screws.

matty

Im not sure what you mean but it comes down slowly?

Does your idle drop bellow 1000rpm and stall sometimes?

Try giving cleaning the carb a go. But if you do, do it properly by taking the carb off rather then having your bike running and spraying carb cleaner through but be careful you don't knock the mixture screws.

matty

Hi Matty. It does quite often drop below 1000rpm and stall, so I'll try to give the carb a good clean, thanks for the advice.

The rpm does come down slowly yeah, and also when the clutch is released it's sometimes difficult to get the rpm to stay up enough to make the bike move without stalling, it takes dipping in the clutch to make the rpm jump up again to make it move off sometimes.

Any more ideas?

Hmmmm....

I would start first by giving the carb and the jets a good clean. If they dont help then let me know and we will go from there.

From what you said about you have to keep dipping the clutch in to keep the rpm up sounds like a power problem if im correct. Have you checked the spark plug? Just out of interest how long ago was it when the piston got changed?

Matty.

Hi guys.

I'm new to this forum, and actually fairly new to bikes. I've bought a second hand Kawasaki AR125, first registered 1991, it has a strange problem I can't track down.

When the bike is started, it sits idle at about 1000rpm, when you open the throttle it jumps up and very slowly drifts back down, settling at 3000rpm instead of 1000rpm, sometimes it will come back down to 1000 but generally it sticks at 3000.

Any suggestions to why the rpm come-down is so slow, or why it sometimes settles idle at 3000rpm?

Its a 2-stroke thing. Both of my RS's did it. If you've derestricted with a new exhaust then the vacuum it makes to draw more fuel into the engine to gain more power will probably stop the revs settling down for a while.

Put some pics up will you :D

Be a right trip down memory lane for me ..

I never had one ...

But they were "THE" bike when I was ... errrrrrrrrrr ... younger :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When i had my mito and ar50 and my kh125 i had similar problems and they all led to the fuel/air mixture, just screw it right in then one and a half out normally ran good for me but it does vary.

Or give Stan stephens a call, they're excellent on 2-stroke problems :wink:

if you call Stan youll spend more than you paid for the bike lol.

Right first things first.... spray around the carb with wd 40 when its ticking over....do revs increase?? As airleaks are a common cause.

Next strip the carb...take lots of pics and clean it carefully with carb cleaner and blow out off the fuel ways. Make sure you set float height as this wanders on these like mad and will can cause wandering tickover. Have a look for an AR forum and details for your stock settings. Start by setting the carbs to stock and move from there is small increments.

above all have fun ;)