Keeping a uk registered bike in Europe

P. Toolan

Not sure if Brexit has changed things but it used to be if a vehicle is to be in France longer than 6 months it had to be registered in France and have French plates. 

have a look here. https://www.frenchentree.com/living-in-france/importing-a-uk-vehicle-and-registering-it-in-france-2/#does-your-UK-vehicle-need-a-Control-Technique

Where are you based? To use a U.K. registered bike in the EU it has to be fully road legal in the U.K. and if it’s over three years old that means an MOT. It also has to have U.K. insurance. If you are a resident in France you may not ride a U.K. registered bike although there is a months’s grace if you are importing it to start the immatriculation through ANTS.

2 hours ago, JRH said:

Not sure if Brexit has changed things but it used to be if a vehicle is to be in France longer than 6 months it had to be registered in France and have French plates. 

have a look here. https://www.frenchentree.com/living-in-france/importing-a-uk-vehicle-and-registering-it-in-france-2/#does-your-UK-vehicle-need-a-Control-Technique

If you are a French resident the registration process has to be started within one month. 

• 3 months later...

I'd just add that, in France, unless you really attract attention to yourself, you're unlikely to get checked or pulled over just because you have English plates. I speak from experience: brought an English car to France early this year. Drive quite a lot. I've had police directly behind me at least once. Never been stopped or attracted any looks. Again from experience I would say that in the Netherlands, for example, they are much more likely to take an interest in you over the same, longer time frame. But not in France. But yes I did bring the car back to renew the MOT.