Oops? SV650S

Steve_M

I may have just committed to buying a Suzuki SV650S.

I know the seller who is definitely reliable, and it has been serviced by a guy who used to service my bikes before I relocated 250 miles away. 

Which is just as well since I’m buying it having seen it once three years ago (and recent photos) and have never ridden on.

I believe we have a couple of people knowledgeable about these things. Are there any obvious pitfalls with buying this model of bike?

Edited by Steve_M

I have worked on a couple of these and they don`t seem to have any major problems.

It is worth trying to ensure the front cylinder and HT lead are as protected as possible from the elements especially if you intend to use all year round.

A good choice I would have said.

Cheers

Ian

15 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

I have worked on a couple of these and they don`t seem to have any major problems.

It is worth trying to ensure the front cylinder and HT lead are as protected as possible from the elements especially if you intend to use all year round.

A good choice I would have said.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks. 👍

I’m unlikely to use it in inclement weather. It’s to be my solo Sunday toy, keeping the GS mostly for touring and any two up trips. I’ll probably do my day at Cadwell on it as dropping it (fingers crossed, not) would be less painful to the wallet than the GS. 

A lot of these have covered serious mileage with only routine maintenance. The engines are very strong if looked after.

The only real downside is the finish can suffer if not looked after, and the front cylinder can get a lot of road crud. It was a budget bike after all.I

Great bike though.👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bud said:

A lot of these have covered serious mileage with only routine maintenance. The engines are very strong if looked after.

The only real downside is the finish can suffer if not looked after, and the front cylinder can get a lot of road crud. It was a budget bike after all.I

Great bike though.👍

This one is in pretty good nick. I had a long chat with the owner this evening who gave me the full SP. The good news  is that the guy who has been servicing it etc. is the guy who used to service my bikes and is a top guy with a great reputation. 

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 16:55, Steve_M said:

I may have just committed to buying a Suzuki SV650S.

What age is the bike? I've just bought an SL1, which is the gen 2 with the dual sparkplug per cylinder configuration. 

The only issues I've ever known about on the gen 1 or 2 seem to be related to the charging system. They are relatively rare however, but the cause can either be a dodgy rectifier or rotor magnets that have come loose and bunched together. It's fairly easy to fix, but often owners misidentify the issue and replace rectifiers/generators. The repair is done by spacing them back out correctly, and then packing the gaps so they can't move. Most use JB weld. 

I've had 3, and my last one served me for 2 years in London. I'd have had another one if I wasn't on the receiving end of 2 crashes, and 2 thefts. Insurance sky rocketed for most things. It never missed a beat.

If not already done, install a fender extender. Stops the front cylinder cutting out in heavy rain. 

• Like 1