WHIRRING

handyandy24

Riding along today and I notice a kind of whirring sound from either the engine or wheel not sure which was windy. I cant remember having this noise before so aint 100% sure wen it started. If i go faster it gets louder and the whirring is quicker. The sound is like if u got something heavyish on the end of a rope and started swinging it above your head faster and faster. No idea what it was.

Took one side off today noticed my coolant bottle has got a leak and seem to have lost the cap on the motorway. not sure if this has anything to do with it but doubt it. Also at one point sounded like i was getting a clicking from the chain as it went round. Not sure what that was, overtightened?

Any ideas on this whirring?

ps. performance of the bike hasnt changed

First one from me is to check your chain tension, to tight or too loose can both cause the symptoms you describe.

Does it increase with revs (ie slow to fast in each gear) or does it increase with speed (ie constant increase despite engine rpm).

if it increases with speed then I would say chain, tyres, wheel bearings.

If it increases with revs then might be cam chain tensioner