Needs some help with insurance quotes

m2001

Hi guys and gals,

Im planning to do my A2 license this year but was looking at insurance prices for the bike i wanna get (ninja 400 or yamaha R3) and the prices were more than the bike itself. I was wondering if maybe getting a moped for a year to build up NCB and then get the bike i want at a cheaper premium. Or if theres any way to get a cheaper deal. P.S no one in my familly rides a bike.

Both bikes are high on the list of people that are new to bikes and want to go as fast and crazy as they wish. They therefore have a high crash rate compared to other bikes and so higher premiums. I've heard guys say that buying a full size bike and restricting it was cheaper than just getting a bike that's lower power fro factory. 

Sports bikes will also be more expensive too. Maybe try a few quotes with other bikes like mt03 or restricted mt07

• Like 1

Good advice from @daveinlim

There's a quick and dirty tool here https://bikerrated.com/insurance-estimator/ that you can use to get some approximate quotes for comparison. Try different bikes, different ages. Try with and without 1 year's NCD, and see how they all compare. 

If you're thinking about the moped route, though, it's worth running a real quote through to see what your insurance would be on the bike you want with 1 year's NCD. It's common for insurers to slap on a premium when you move from a bike with smaller engine to a larger one. I've had it happen to me twice - going from a 500 to a 1200, and some years later, going from a 400 to 800. My guess is that on both occasions I broke some magic insurance barrier (1000cc, 650cc) that triggered a higher premium. The premium went down to something more sensible the year after, but this would kind of defeat what you're aiming to achieve.

• Like 1