Losing power

Guest MNO

Mega frustrated, had my proper ride on my RS today and it was great, I took it easy and tried to run it in a bit as it's been sat for 2 months, had some problems at first with it dying and losing power, but kept the revs up and it was fine.

Just went to fill up with petrol and it died 3 times, twice at roundabouts.

It'll go fine, but when I slow down to below like 30mph it'll lose power, try to throttle it a bit and it gives nothing, drop a gear trying to keep it going, and then itll just slowly die.

Once it dies, it refuses to start for a while, but eventually I managed to get it going with a bit of choke+throttle combined, get it into first and off I go again.

But it keeps dying when I slow down, as I'm new to bikes I thought hmm.. maybe I'm in too high a gear for the speed, so I tried dropping a gear sooner, but it does the same as soon as i slow down.

All I can think of is that its not getting the fuel injection or its just getting blocked, or maybe the spark plug?

Also sometimes when I stop it refuses to go into neutral, like won't shift into any gear ?

Any help is appreciated with my very limited mechanical mind.

It ticks over fine usually, no problems, but once it cuts out, it takes a while to get it going again, and once I finally get it started and give it a few revs, it ticks over fine.

I never got to the station, the bike was running on almost nothing so I filled it up with a few litres from a fuel-can thing that I filled up at the petrol station before my CBT about a week ago.

There's a fair amount in there now though, I was only going to the petrol station for an excuse to slip away on the bike and to fill up the tank.

I havent changed the filter no

surely if the cylinder had blown it wouldnt start?

I've just taken the air filter out and had a look, seems pretty clean minus some oil at the bottom, but doesn't seem a substantial enough amount to be sucked in to cause a block when slowing.

Also cleaned the spark plug out.

:|

When I'm coming to slow it just feels as though it's run out of fuel when I know it hasnt, the revs wont be there at all.

could be all sorts of things tbh.

Firstly put a NEW plug in , 2 strokes are very sensitive.

Is it restricted ?

do you know how to empty the float bowl as i would do this and have a look at the fuel.

is the battery fully charged and charging when the bike is running?

what did the plug look like and how strong is the spark?

and finally, where abouts are you?

surely if the cylinder had blown it wouldnt start?

I've just taken the air filter out and had a look, seems pretty clean minus some oil at the bottom, but doesn't seem a substantial enough amount to be sucked in to cause a block when slowing.

Also cleaned the spark plug out.

:|

When I'm coming to slow it just feels as though it's run out of fuel when I know it hasnt, the revs wont be there at all.

it would probably start and run. Not well though, and evidence of a blown gasket?

as for not going in gear its most likely that your clutch cable needs adjusting.

is it carb....im guessing its not fuel injection.....sorry but cant be arsed looking up the spec ;)

Ok well it's done it again, and this time wouldn't start at all once it stopped meaning I had to push it home... :x

The only other thing I can think of is a fuel filter blockage.. because it acts as if its running out of/has no fuel, because it just fades away.

:cry:

I feel stupid saying this but have you switched it to reserve. The main fuel line wont drawn in any more past a certain level.

I had the problem with my 50 because I didnt read the users manual :oops:

The reserve in a 125 is pretty big so you would have to stick over 2 litres of fuel in for the main line to be getting fuel again.

yea I usually stick it on reserve ones it stops just to "make sure" even though I know there's plenty in there.

Today I took off the carb, the air filter, cleaned them both out made sure there were no blocks, checked the fuel filter made sure it wasnt blocked etc, was all fine.

Doesn't seem to do it as much but has done it once today, I'm not sure what it is but I'm just gna ride on and hope it stops completely, gna try some super unleaded maybe it'll help I'm not sure...

Cheers for all the replies they have helped. If anything then atleast this has helped me learn about the bike mechanically, a few days ago I didn't feel confident enough about taking anything out/off the bike, but I've learnt alot so maybe it wasnt such a bad thing :D

tick, tick , tick , tick.....

sort it out mate or you may as well not ride it. They are delicate enough without a possible fuel starvation issue.

if it starves off slightly at the top end one of 2 things will happen, your plugs will foul badly (assuming the oil to fuel mix is high enough) ...thats gonna get expensive pretty quickly or youll run lean and melt your piston...possibly taking the barrel with it...oh and maybe the head...not worth leaving it.

where you based??

Well for one its doing it far less, I need to adjust the clutch because sometimes it wont go into neutral, but that shouldn't be anything too serious.

Every day it does it less and less, I've worked on it longer than I've ridden it so hopefully it should just be old fuel, which should almost be gone now.

So I highly doubt it'll blow.

ok mate you know best, its not a points mission for me you know.

btw if you want to find out how long old fuel will last, ride, turn off your petrol and see how long b4 it stops.

My guess is about a quater mile....so thats how likely it is to have been old fuel....it will have gone ages ago :roll: