Brake discs temperature.

Shepherd

Forgive the possibly daft question ...

Should my rear brake disc be hotter than the front?

I had a brake squeal, from what I thought was the front.

Removed calipers and cleaned up pistons and the pin that goes through the pads on both front discs and the single rear one.

Still had the squeal, but now not sure if it's front or rear, so I took my temp reader to them and the rear was at 40° against 25° on the fronts.

Made me wonder if the rear is binding a little, or if the front are air cooled against the rear next to exhaust etc?

Got a weekend of a few hundred miles coming up, and don't want to have a problem.

Bike is a Versys 650 mk3, so no centre stand to easily get the wheels in the air.

Apologies if this is all obvious, but the disc you've used more in the last few minutes is the one that's going to be hotter; this is normal. 

Why not take it out for few minutes' spin, keep completely off the back brake, and come to a stop on the front only. If the back disc is hot after that, it means your disc is binding - probably the piston is stuck on and needs servicing. Normally you can tell if the rear brake is binding by the reduced power at slow speeds.

Will try a ride tomorrow without back brake if possible.  I do use the back brake, but not a  lot.

Brakes aren't linked. 

Thanks for the replies.

Been out and about a couple of times, with and without using rear brake. Disc temps are fairly equal, so must have been an odd reading before.

Still got the squeal though, after pumping the pistons out as far as I dare to give them a clean.

Looks like it's off to the bike garage after the weekend for a brake service 😬