A2 to A upgrade

Hello, 

I am currently on an A2 restricted Kawasaki Ninja 650cc. In September I can take my A license.

I am trying to save money by not going back to a riding school and I have thought of just doing the test myself on my own bike. I am confident in my ability, I drive/ride all the time and can always map out some cones for mod 1 in a large area to practice. 

- Does anyone know when taking a test by yourself do the DVSA need to be shown proof of insurance? i.e will I need to print it out and store it in my jacket.  

- How would they know if my bike was restrcited or de restricted? At current it is restricted via the ECU which only Kawasaki dealerships can get access too (or so I have been told by my main dealership). 

Thank you! 

I don't know - but I'm interested to know about the insurance. 

Does your insurance change? (I the bike insured as restricted or is that not how it works?)

s a sidenote - is the bike quite upright?(It is on my list to try!

You can't take the A Licence on an A2 restricted bike.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1158159/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list.csv/preview

As to how they'd know...

Presumably if you rock up to the test centre on the bike with no L's or instructor then you'd be either braking the law by riding a bike too powerful for the A2 license or not powerful enough for the test. 

Not sure about proof of insurance - but I don't think they check it.

12 hours ago, Tigs said:

I don't know - but I'm interested to know about the insurance. 

Does your insurance change? (I the bike insured as restricted or is that not how it works?)

s a sidenote - is the bike quite upright?(It is on my list to try!

Yeah the bike is quite upright but you do have a slight bend down!