exhaust baffle tube removal (for cleaning)

Guest scorpian81

Hi, I have a '91 Honda H100S which isn't running as well as I think it could be. I want to remove the baffle tube from the exhaust to clean/unblock it, but as you have probably guessed its purely stuck through a combination of rust/carbon deposits. Any ideas how I could remove it myself? I have tried with mole grips but to no avail. If not, I'm guessing a new backpipe would be a better option than taking it to my local Honda dealer.

Many thanks in advance, any help greatly appreciated!

Ian.

Give it a try when its hot, just be careful not to burn your fingers

many thanks, will give it a try. won't get it too hot though.

sorry for doubting your advice, but i thought heat will expand the metal, therfore making it harder for me to achieve this? unless it expands in the right place of course.

Your right, it will expand but hopefully the exhaust will expand too, as for warming it up, I just mean run the engine for a while. Once you get the baffle out though, if it is covered in carbon, you'll notice a huge difference once its clean. I used to clean mine with a blow torch to burn the carbon off and get it glowing red. There is also a liquid you can get if the baffle was a non-removable type, but you'd need to remove the whole exhaust to use it.

Thanks for the advice guys. I took it for a half hour run then tried again, but it's being a bar steward. it is the removable type but it's so jammed in i can't see how i can remove it. as for the caustic soda, it does sound nasty so i will replace the whole back pipe if i can come across one. (and remove and clean it regularly) :lol:

Thanks for the advice guys. I took it for a half hour run then tried again, but it's being a bar steward. it is the removable type but it's so jammed in i can't see how i can remove it. as for the caustic soda, it does sound nasty so i will replace the whole back pipe if i can come across one. (and remove and clean it regularly) :lol:

I guess you've already done this but I thought I best just check, they usually have a screw underneath the pipe that needs removing before you try and pull the baffle out. (It took me ages once, because I didn't know this :oops: )

Oh one more thing, twist as you pull

ha ha. yes i've been doing plenty of that! :lol:

yes, there is a screw underneath. but ive taken it off and ridden it and it is useless as the baffle tube is stuck like glue. ive been trying to twist it as i pull, just a pain in the rear that not a lot of metal for the mole grips to er... grip on :D