KTM MotoGP Team Manager Francesco Guidotti Talks 2024

Admin

Francesco Guidotti, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing team manager.
Francesco Guidotti, Red Bull KTM Factory Racing team manager. (KTM/)

“Ready to race.” For KTM this is more than a slogan; it’s a philosophy, a way of thinking, of working, living, and racing. In all the disciplines the company has competed in, the Austrians have won. So what’s next? After having dominated in the off-road with Dakar Rally, MXGP and enduro, and the GPs junior classes, the ultimate goal now is the golden crown of MotoGP.

Second in the constructors’ standing last year, with South African Brad Binder fourth after a 1-2-3 Ducati championship finish, KTM aims at making another step this year. Is it the new alternative to Ducati in the premier class?

As the MotoGP circus lands in Portugal this weekend for the second round of the 2024 season, we talked with Francesco Guidotti, team manager of Red Bull KTM Factory Racing.

We’ve moved from the Qatar desert to the shores of Algarve in Portugal—a scenery, continent, and track change—but Ducati remains the bike to beat.

“Ducati takes the start with an advantage. It’s the winning bike from the past two years, but KTM and Aprilia are getting closer.”

Can KTM be considered Ducati’s main opponent?

“From a company point of view, our goal is clearly to win the title as soon as possible, but we don’t want to be the anti-Ducati. I like to think that it is rather a new cycle that sees the European manufacturers at the forefront after 25 to 30 years of domination by the Japanese giants.”

Guidotti says that now is the time for the European manufacturers to be leading the MotoGP championship. Brad Binder was near the front at round 1, and looks to continue his strong finishes this weekend in Portimão.
Guidotti says that now is the time for the European manufacturers to be leading the MotoGP championship. Brad Binder was near the front at round 1, and looks to continue his strong finishes this weekend in Portimão. (KTM/)

Talking about the bike. What are the strengths that Brad Binder and Jack Miller can count on?

“We are very satisfied with the work done. The bike is very balanced. We are also happy with the engine. We have improved in all the areas, also thanks to the electronics and aerodynamics.”

Growth has been consistent throughout the 2023 season.

“Yes, we continued to bring material until Valencia, even structural pieces. For example, the carbon frame used by wild-card Dani Pedrosa at Misano was adopted by factory riders starting from the Japanese GP. The evolution then continued over the winter in preparation for 2024.”

Guidotti says he’s never seen determination like that of Binder.
Guidotti says he’s never seen determination like that of Binder. (KTM/)

How do you see the Desmosedici GP24?

“I don’t see any weaknesses in the bike. Their strength lies precisely in the bike-rider combination. Pecco knows the bike like his pockets; he is in his sixth season and since he switched to the factory team, the development has been based on his input. Binder is also in his fifth season with us, but has ridden different bikes.”

You have worked with Pecco. Is he unbeatable?

“I see him very mature and he seems to have everything under control. He won two consecutive titles in different ways: in 20223 with an incredible comeback over Fabio Quartararo, in 2023 in a duel with Martín while then managing the points. Pecco seems to suffer a little on Friday—but then on Sunday he is there.”

What about Jorge Martín? You worked with him too.

“Jorge has a different temperament. He is extremely fast and explosive, he is riding aggressively. It’s a strength, but he is also more exposed to the risk and the mistake.”

And your riders?

“Brad (Binder) has such an extreme determination that I haven’t seen in anyone. He is fully dedicated starting with the training, the diet, and the mindset. He has an aggressive riding style that he has refined, becoming the ace that we see. And then Jack (Miller): He is fast, experienced, but sometimes he makes too many mistakes. On the other hand, he is a true leader in the team and fully believes in the project.”

Jack Miller is seen as a leader on the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team.
Jack Miller is seen as a leader on the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team. (KTM/)

And then a very talented rookie: Pedro Acosta in the GasGas Team—the new guy to follow!

Pedro had a good feeling with the bike from the very beginning, and that is crucial. He is learning very quickly. He made a perfect debut in Qatar. He did everything he had to do: He was fast but without overdoing. It was important to finish the sprint and the race with a good result. In a word, he made the most of the situation he found himself in, doing half a race with the top five.”

Another talented guy made his debut with you in 125cc: a guy called Marc Márquez.

“Yes I have worked with so many riders that are competing on the MotoGP grid.”

Miller may make too many mistakes, but he is thrilling to watch. Here he flies his 2024 RC16 during Friday practice at Portimão.
Miller may make too many mistakes, but he is thrilling to watch. Here he flies his 2024 RC16 during Friday practice at Portimão. (KTM/)

How special is he? And do you see some similarity with Acosta?

“To be in MotoGP you need to be fast, so I give this for granted. What I like about Marc is his passion for racing. He lives racing as pleasure. In that, Pedro is very similar to Marc.”

From one to 10 how would you rank each manufacturer after the opening round in Qatar—which can also be indicative for this weekend Portimão?

“Ducati: 9, because they won on Saturday and Sunday with two different riders.

“KTM: 8

“Aprilia: 6.5. They did amazing in qualifying and sprint race, but on Sunday they got lost.

“Honda and Yamaha: We know that they are struggling and need time, but I’m sure that thanks  to the concessions they will be part of the game too. It’s only a question of time.”

What is KTM’s goal for 2024?

“Last year we won several sprint races, we need to improve that. The target is to win as many races as possible, especially on Sundays. This is a fundamental step if we want to fight for the title.”

KTM needs more than sprint race wins to secure the title.
KTM needs more than sprint race wins to secure the title. (KTM/)

We are only on the eve of the second race, but the rider market is already a hot topic. There are a lot of rumors about Marc Márquez on an orange ride in 2025.

“Who wouldn’t want to have Marc in the team? There has been a lot of talks about it, but things are always more complex. Nothing is impossible, but I see it as difficult; it would be the third bike change in three years for him.”

Binder/Márquez or Márquez/Acosta would be a dream team.

“Binder and Acosta are already with us so we can make a dream team even without Marc, but as I said: Who wouldn’t want to have Marc in the team?”

View the full article