Advice please regarding Touring motorbikes

Comus1964

I still have to find anything decent enough that can replace my pan 08 😎

Work horse, shaft drive, 250 miles on a tank

All the trims you need on a long touring trip.

Reliable as anything.

• Like 1

I had a BMW R100rs a few years ago and liked it. .. I decided to change it when it fell over and I couldn't pick it up!

I now have  650 V-Strom which I'm happy with!

Posted (edited)
On 05/04/2024 at 14:40, Gerontious said:

Insurance is, at the moment artificially high. I guess the multi-millionaires who underwrite the policies are feeling the cost of living pinch. Have you seen the price of a 1947 Petrus? Shocking.

jokes aside. Many people have seen their policies double over the past year or two. Obviously because every policy is unique to an individual some will not have seen these increases. But many have. £400 is not an extortionate amount for someone with zero ncb. Because as far as the insurers are concerned you are an unknown risk and will remain so until you prove yourself.

seems a false economy to me to pay however much for a bike and focus totally on the cost of insurance. As if that’s the most important factor of all. It isn’t.

A bike (above 250cc and less than 5 years old) is now a luxury item. There are scales of luxury and a tourer is fairly high on that scale. Insurance reflects that. If my insurance were to double again, would I pay it. Yes I would. With much cursing and a bit of dramatic foaming at the mouth. But what choice is there?

my thoughts. Forget about insurance for the first year. Get the bike you want and worry about insurance after you have made your choice. Use comparison sites to find the cheapest possible premium then phone them up and try to get it further reduced. And then. Don’t ride like a twit. And don’t ever leave the bike on display as it’s just a matter of time until the wrong person sees it. And if it’s nicked. Well you might think insurance is bad now…. It’s nothing compared to what comes after a theft.

Apologies that it has took me a while to get back to you on your thoughts on Motorcycle insurance... however you may be in the financial catagory where you can afford to complain about the price of insurance but pay it anyway, unfortuately im... not i have a total budget in mind which i wont spends more than, and that total budget has to take into consideration, Insurance , Tax and MOT plus the cost of the bike and and buying the neccessery Helmet leathers, boots gloves etc..so the way i am looking at it is for the first couple of years im not going to spend more that £200 a year on insurance means i can spend more on the bike hence i can get a better more lower mileage model for example..and i dont feel like im being completely ripped of by the money grabbing insurance companies.

Up until 4 years ago i could insure a high performance modern 1000cc bike for the same price now that i can afford to insure a 125ccm for which is just ludicrous and considering im 60 years of age im not exactly in the insurance hooligan catagory of age group...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing... if i had had an idea that taking a break from owning a motor vehicle for 5 years would have such a massive impact on my inurance prices i probably would have contued to insure perhaps the cheapest motorbike i could find to keep the yearly price low ..my last bike was a Suzuki GSXR 600 which cost me £150,00 to insure fully comp because of my age and the fact that i had the full quota of NCB, if i was to now try to insure that same bike it would cost me more than £450.00

Edited by Comus1964
  • Thanks 1