Heated grips wiring not working with relay

Casparv

Hi Everyone,

I am no electrician in any way shape or form, but I tried wiring my heated grips via a relay. I have followed all steps accordingly, but for some reason I get the following issue:

• When I wire the heated grips directly to the battery, the grips instantly turn on when I put it into mode 4. Everything works as it should.
  • When I wire the heated grips via a relay, I can see that at the point where my cable from the relay meets the cable of the heated grip the voltage going through the cable drastically decreased depending on the heated option I select (1 to 4). When I select 4 my multimeter measures a very low voltage and the heated grips do not turn on. When I wire the grips again directly to the battery, this same point measures full voltage when I have selected 4 on the heated grips. My accessory does not work on any level, but I see the output off voltage in the cable connected to the accessory drop depending on the level I select.

My wiring is done as followed:

30 Wired to the battery (will add a fuse in between after but want it to work first)
87 Wired to the heated grips

85 Wired to a spliced cable coming from the heated grips going into the minus of the battery

86 Wired to one of the fuse intakes on my bike that gives power at ignition.

The weird part is that the relay seems to work fine, since I hear a click when the switch is triggered. It also gives the same power when idle, but when the accessory is used I have a loss of power and the accessory does not turn.

I thought it might have to do with how I wired the switch, I am not certain if you need to wire it into the negative or positive side of the fuse, I just wired it into an available side of the fuse (could very likely be a negative) is that maybe the issue?

Does anyone know what the issue is here and how I can solve it?

Edited by Casparv

30 fused from bat positive 87 to heated grips live feed.

This feeds grips

85 from ignition on positive

86 to earth 

This switches relay on/off

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JRH said:

30 fused from bat positive 87 to heated grips live feed.

This feeds grips

85 from ignition on positive

86 to earth 

This switches relay on/off

With ground do you mean the battery negative or the frame? Is it still oke to wire the negative wire from the heated grips spliced with 86 to the ground or does it need to be 2 separate grounds.

Ground can be either the battery negative or frame whichever is easier. There doesn’t have to be 2 separate grounds, again it is whichever is easier for the wiring.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, JRH said:

Ground can be either the battery negative or frame whichever is easier. There doesn’t have to be 2 separate grounds, again it is whichever is easier for the wiring.

I have looked at the wiring and I have done it completely wrong before. The schematic on the top looked much different from how I had to plug everything in. I had wired the positive through the switch instead of the positive. It has blown out, I believe. Is it possible that the relay got burned out by wiring it incorrectly? It now lets power through but the switch is no longer triggering.

Edited by Casparv

Have a look at this scheme. Insert heated grips in place of usb socket.

if there were no fuses the relay could have welded the contacts, hence power flow but no swirptching. You may need a new relay.

IMG_2355.thumb.jpeg.c799fed467f9470f7bfb879a854f2b1d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1