Cleaning Jacket

Right... might seem like a funny one.. but oh well... lol!

I have a textile jacket and after riding alot in the heat.. you can imagine how sweaty it gets in there lol! So the smell isnt the best after a long time :D

How would you guys clean the jacket? Would it be safe to take the armour out and shove it in the washer? (If they come out) or Dry clean? or some other method? I once febreezed it and it ended up smelling like vinegar! lol ugh!

:D

Most jackets can be washed in the washer....

remove armour, securely fasten any velcro strapping, make sure the washing machine doesnt have any build up of soap powder, (if in doubt, put the washer on empty and on a hot wash to get rid of any and check the drawers clean. Detergent can kill waterproofing materials).

Use Nikwax tech wash.....

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/pr ... roductid=4

followed by Nikwax TX direct

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/pr ... abricid=-1

(I put the 2nd one in the softener tray and use it in the final rinse)

done it loads of times on goretex and non goretex but NOT goretex lined gloves, it destroys the lining, pulls all the fingers out and theyre fit only for the bin)

Leave to dry in a warm place, I usually hang mine above / near a radiator

Ive tried the spray on re proofers and found theyre not as good as the wash ins and the graingers stuff didnt work as well as the nikwax.

Hope that helps :)

Most jackets can be washed in the washer....

remove armour, securely fasten any velcro strapping, make sure the washing machine doesnt have any build up of soap powder, (if in doubt, put the washer on empty and on a hot wash to get rid of any and check the drawers clean. Detergent can kill waterproofing materials).

Use Nikwax tech wash.....

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/pr ... roductid=4

followed by Nikwax TX direct

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/pr ... abricid=-1

(I put the 2nd one in the softener tray and use it in the final rinse)

done it loads of times on goretex and non goretex but NOT goretex lined gloves, it destroys the lining, pulls all the fingers out and theyre fit only for the bin)

Leave to dry in a warm place, I usually hang mine above / near a radiator

Ive tried the spray on re proofers and found theyre not as good as the wash ins and the graingers stuff didnt work as well as the nikwax.

My textile is 7 year old so you can imagine what it smelt like :lol: the above worked a treat

Hope that helps :)

Be careful when you use Nikwax wash - the last ime I washed a jacket it cost me a new washing machine!

Use A LOT LESS than it says to as it's very frothy and can bugger up the electrics on the washer - trust me on this :evil:

" Wash-in waterproofing for wet weather clothing

Adds water-repellency and revives breathability to fabrics without wicking liners. "

what is a wicking liner? my jacket which is an Akito one doesn't seem to be waterproof at all much apart from the inside layer.

So baiscally remove lining/ elbow / shoulder pads and bung some of that in with it?

was thinking of getting some of that spray on stuff but this sounds possibly better way of doing it

:shock: never had a problem & must have used dozens of times now for all of our gear over the last 4 years. Were in a medium water area too ... was it the green topped bottle you used? How much did you put in?

I put in the stated dose but it frothed up like a champagne bottle and shorted out the electrics on my washer - the next time I'll just wash it without the detergent in.

When the smell gets to bad I buy a new jacket.... :D

I never remove the lining as I find I sweat more with it out so if mine starts to ming a bit I should be able to just wash the lining....

Anyway aren't we all rufty tufy bikers.... :?

Smell should not be an issue and if anyone asks tell em its adrenaline... :twisted:

:shock: at that killing your washer, Ive had it in 2 different washers now and also used it in a laundrette and never had a problem.. Id have been well :twisted:

HG and nikwax both said the goretex fibres block if they get dirty and can stop working, so you can feel wet as if theyre leaking, as it stops them breathing? So its not just about freshness, it does goretex good to be cleaned every now and again. You dont need to reproof every time you wash (it says) but I do anyway

just got a Frank Thomas water proof jacket from the bay

slightly dirty but seems it came from a smokers house as it smells of smoke

now ive read the label and it says:

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5618/dscf1119640x480vs0.jpg

http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/dscf1119640x480vs0.jpg/1/w640.png

how is that going to get it clean again?

anyone have any other suggestions?