Holding back briefly in low gears

Guest danprhayes

Hi

I have noticed that over the last couple of days only sometimes when I pull away in first and sometimes also in second and even with a warm engine that the engine is holding back a bit and then all of a sudden a burst of speed. Its annoying when it holds back and then a shock when it suddenly moves.

Its fine at higher speeds no probs.

I know the fuel filter probably needs a clean and the throttle grip/cables lubricating but does anyone think this problem is due to this or something else?

Spark plugs were changed not that long ago and not due an oil change yet.

Cheers

Daniel

possibly carb icing?

hmmm i cant really see it been carb icing as this usually just kills the engine :?

does it do it after you let off the throttle from a constant speed then go back on the throttle ?

or just random :?

Hi

I have noticed that over the last couple of days only sometimes when I pull away in first and sometimes also in second and even with a warm engine that the engine is holding back a bit and then all of a sudden a burst of speed. Its annoying when it holds back and then a shock when it suddenly moves.

i think that give it away that its not a clutch problem :)

the engine wouldnt hold back if the clutch was slipping the engine would just rev sky high :)

It may be the carbs require balancing as they are prone to need it on the zzr600's

as mentioned it could be cold air into the carbs causing the petrol vapour to freeze and that can cause this issue but you notice this more as you get to a junction and it stalls as you slow down/wait

Unless the throttle grip are really tight to twist initially and then suddenly free i cant see that being to much of an issue.

Does it rev crisply in neutral or does it hesitate ?

Lots of interesting points.

When its holding back its not revving more when I increase throttle, feels like going to cut out but then I keep the throttle on and all of a sudden I am half way down the street.

In neutral when warm it idles smoothly like it should.

Its normally when I have been going along just fine at higher speeds/gears - then come to a slow in traffic/lights and then want to speed up and for the first like 3 seconds its saying 'ooo I dunno I'm scared' then all of a sudden 'ok you git take this...' (me hanging on).

It was ok last night and this morning. Ill see how it goes.

it is definately fuel related. kawasaki are known for carb icing issues but they fixed that after the almighty mess they made of the GPz900 by doing a recall and adding all sorts of extra plumbing to keep the carbs warm!

ZZR's shouldn't be affected. they came along after kawasaki learnt thier lesson!

i would recomend you get the carbs stripped and cleaned by a dealer (unless you fancy a go yourself, it's not that hard! honest!)

with the age of the bike it will benifit from this regardless of wether it is carb icing or dirt.

Kawasaki carbs are crap, british fuel is crap, winter is cold.......

To isolate the issue, ride along until it starts to happen, pull in, kill the motor. Wait 3-4 minutes(while the ice melts) and ride again, If its OK, then gets bad again, you know its carb icing.

Silkolene ProFst does work very well, my CCM was running on it(it ices BADLY) but its very expensive, I tried super fuels, and expensive brands, and to be honest, the super unleaded seemed worse than regular supermarket, so I used cheap fuel and ProFst.

I meant it tho, Kwak carbs are pants from that era, many bikes suffered from icing problems. :wink:

I know this doesnt help but my car (MG ZS 120) has been doing the EXACT same thing as of about 2 or 3 months ago and its really annoying when you go to pull out and roundabouts/junctions!

I've just kind of learnt to live with it as I'm probably going to get rid of the car soon anyway, hope you get yours sorted though.