Hi-Viz Every Time!

Hi-Viz Yellow bomber jacket type thing is what i use.

£15 from JJB sports.

Got it 2 sizes too big so it slips over me other bike gear, never leave home without it either worn or strapped onto back seat just in case.

Not only is it Hi-Viz but also acts as another layer of clothing in case I gets a bit cold.

In the dim light at this time of year you need to look out for bikes with a double headlight, from a distance they might look like car lights but a lot further back, when in fact they could be a bike only a few hundred yards away.

i love tims jacket, i have actually lookin for one but cant find any at army surplus stores. i shat my pants lookin in my mirror or ahead of me on the pudsey run, quick glance instint reaction *copper act normal* look again *ffs its tim* haha

Not sure if they are still doing them but texaco garages are/were giving away free reflective stickers aimed at kids with regards to BE SEEN , WEAR IT ( bike helmet) & BELT UP ( no not shut the fook up but seatbelts ) and are about an inch and a half by an inch and a half wide ( they also have little packs with a hi vis poncho etc for kids in them ) again all free....

have added a few to my bike just do not look too closely at the actaul stickers or you will laugh lol

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/timr_75/Photo343.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/timr_75/Photo341.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/timr_75/Photo349.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/timr_75/100_5311.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/timr_75/100_5312.jpg

Here Hi-viz Flames on my helmet (£9) + Class2 reflective vest (£2.99) at the market stall + about to stick chevrons ( ~£10 ) on windscreen/topbox and if any left - on the sides under the pillon panels. Hi-viz are good, they make us visible but not invincible, let's not forget.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a bit of a legal gray at the moment. The 1989 roadvehicle lighting regulations only mention and cover lighting fitted to a vehicle not to the clothing of the operatorColour of light shown by lamps and reflectors

Sec 11.—(1). Covers light colours.

Lamps to show a steady light Sec 13.—(1) Refers to flashing lights, but then again only those fitted to a vehicle.

Looking at a few of the vest's/harness available, some have red lights all over, but there are those with red lights to the rear and amber to the front.

I have tested both and am quite amazed how more visible I have become in dark and poor driving conditions, particulary when filtering. Another great asset is if you have to step off your bike you are still lit and more obvious. Remember hi-viz only works when reflecting light shined at it, not a lot of good when you've been thrown 20 foot into a field.

I am not a police officer but do work for the emergency services and have been testing these for use by personnel. I can attest to the benifits of this gear, not only is it reflective it has the added advantage of catching the eye quicker.

Only a steady white light to the front and red light to the rear are legal.

However, for the sake of safety I am willing to risk two small armbands, and only one of the LED's is actually facing forwards. I am not sure the hi-viz with red LED's on the front would be as 'acceptable', but it would be a real jobsworth to stop you for wearing one!

This is a bit of a legal gray at the moment. The 1989 roadvehicle lighting regulations only mention and cover lighting fitted to a vehicle not to the clothing of the operatorColour of light shown by lamps and reflectors

Sec 11.—(1). Covers light colours.

Lamps to show a steady light Sec 13.—(1) Refers to flashing lights, but then again only those fitted to a vehicle.

Looking at a few of the vest's/harness available, some have red lights all over, but there are those with red lights to the rear and amber to the front.

I have tested both and am quite amazed how more visible I have become in dark and poor driving conditions, particulary when filtering. Another great asset is if you have to step off your bike you are still lit and more obvious. Remember hi-viz only works when reflecting light shined at it, not a lot of good when you've been thrown 20 foot into a field.

I am not a police officer but do work for the emergency services and have been testing these for use by personnel. I can attest to the benifits of this gear, not only is it reflective it has the added advantage of catching the eye quicker.

Only a steady white light to the front and red light to the rear are legal.

However, for the sake of safety I am willing to risk two small armbands, and only one of the LED's is actually facing forwards. I am not sure the hi-viz with red LED's on the front would be as 'acceptable', but it would be a real jobsworth to stop you for wearing one!

thanks fr the info ... and welcome to the forums

why not if stickign around put a post up in the newbies section gives all the other residents chance to welcome you to the fold

never have and never will, personal choice. If the blind arse holes dont see my bright headlights then they arent going to see a shiny vest as most of it is hidden behind the fairing ....which has lights in it ;)

i do have winter jackets that do have reflective piping but got to say ive ridden through 15 winters and the times ive had near misses havent been at night....and all my offs were in daylight.....some people dont look simple as that. :evil:

Thing is Bulli - it isn't whether you can be seen by the drivers, but whether you can be seen to have made every effort to be seen by those who divvi up the compo payments.

If you can demonstrate your own efforts to be visible any subsequent pay out might be higher.

ahhh i see so the nub of the problem is that i have to now prove i have a right to ride my motorcycle for which i paid VAT when i bought it, i tax it and i insure it which also puts money into the coffers.

By the same token i should wear one in my car and have it painted brightly.

surely it is irrelevant what i am wearing, my bike has lights and the only LEGAL requirement is that i have them on past lighting up time. How can an insurance company try to reduce the responsibility of the driver at error due to the colour of clothing.

My race leathers have bright yellow and orange so would i get more in them?

Don't shoot the f**king messenger!

If you are wearing HiViz it dilutes the SMIDSY claim - if you're dressed in black on a black bike you are less visible.

You might be confusing this principle with this .......

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/snagglepuss_album/rocketscientist1.gif

hang on , no im not , it isnt rocket science.

As far as i am aware...and please correct me if im wrong,the smidsy is irrelevant , infact its f/all to do with a claim. It is actually an admission of guilt ;)

They have to pay due care and attention whilst driving and as long as im not in wonder womans plane then the fact that i have or have not got a high viz vest on is irrelevant. I am not responsible for the actions of others, they are responsible for making sure that they can proceed without colliding with another vehicle.

If i dont have my lights on at night then rightly so its my fault. If its daylight and they dont see me its their fault and if it is dark and the lights are on its also their fault.

not shooting the messenger but can you please show me evidence of cases where this has happened and not just hearsay from the comics.

SMIDSY is irrelevant when has it been made law to wear the blackpool illuminations whilst riding so you can have a claim.

Smidsy is also irrelevant cos what else are they gonna say "erm I did see you but i thought i'd pull out on you anyway" yeah right.

I will not wear a hi vis I will try to use my experiance to keep myself safe not rely on some shiny plastic.

middle of the road is allways best in my book . after all i do own the road its mine .lol. any thing and evry thing you can do to stay alive and well is a good idear . i once read in a mag that riding with a white helmet on your bike inproves your safety rating by a huge 20% compaired to a dark lid . INTERESTING !

• 3 weeks later...
middle of the road is allways best in my book . after all i do own the road its mine .lol. any thing and evry thing you can do to stay alive and well is a good idear . i once read in a mag that riding with a white helmet on your bike inproves your safety rating by a huge 20% compaired to a dark lid . INTERESTING !

ah! I've just bought a matt-black helmet! 8-)

ah! I've just bought a matt-black helmet! 8-)

I have a matt black helmet aswell :) I don't plan to be doing much riding in the dark anyway.