Exhaust bolt

handyandy24

Hey guys. one sodding header bolt is chewed to frig, rusted to frig and is on so f**king tight i cant get it off. all the rest come off with some pain but this one wont budge. its where the downpipes attach at the top so there is little room to get any tools in. wd40 has been used cant get mole grips in. any tips?

as for knackered bolt is it an actual bolt or a nut ?

if you can actually get a good prchase on the head/nut run the bike for a while ( re insert other bolts) and try it with it hot and if possible with a hammer and a pin punch or similar give it a few sharp taps on the head to try and jar its grip free

if a nut stry splitting the nut either with a nut splitter or a hacksaw blade slicing the nut in half or if its possible and you have the tools

Centre punch two/three marks on the side flat of nut and then find a drill bit that will allow you to drill three ( or even two will do it) and drill the holes allowing you to split the nut that way

with limited access its hard to give suggestions

some options are .....

weld another nut on the top of the chewed one ( beware of fuel and electrics if doing this ( disconnect fuel tank and battery and unplug cdi unit )

cut the head off the chewed bolt ( do it in stages if neccesary ( cut 2/3rds head off and then if you cant get any closer cut chunks off and keep doing so until it frees) and then once the header is off work on getting the remaining stud out with stud extractor etc

hope these giev you some inspiration but i will add a disclaimer that if you follow any of my ideas it is at your own risk :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tips tim however alot of those suggestions are fairly useless now, while at work my dad went at it with a big ass hammer and chizel :cry: so i guess we are limited now as what we can do. Wonder how many hours of chizzeling it will take to disintergrate that nut. :S

Thanks for the tips tim however alot of those suggestions are fairly useless now, while at work my dad went at it with a big ass hammer and chizel :cry: so i guess we are limited now as what we can do. Wonder how many hours of chizzeling it will take to disintergrate that nut. :S

all i can suggest is a file then lol and try to file it down until you can break the nut in half

as tim says try warming it up use a blow torch if you can to get direct heat on to the stud :)

Put the other nuts back on and start the engine

that will warm it up 8-)

cough cough

as for knackered bolt is it an actual bolt or a nut ?

if you can actually get a good prchase on the head/nut run the bike for a while ( re insert other bolts) and try it with it hot and if possible with a hammer and a pin punch or similar give it a few sharp taps on the head to try and jar its grip free

:mrgreen:

you need a Colbolt drill bit (about 1/2D to the threds) and some easy outs (cromwell supply all these for a good price) just ont snap the easyout inside the threded shaft or well ull need a few colbolt bits to get past the easy out drill about 5mm into the shaft and then the easy out will grip and twist it free a 1/4 or 3/8 speedy brace with the correct addapters will make the job easier the easy outs are extract turn only molgrips will also work on the easyout tool

update

my mate cut the bolt in half and the thing wont come out with molegrips. my dad tried taking another bolt out with a stud extractor tool but it came half out then snapped. realllly brittle studs/bolts. will av to look into the mentioned above:S cheers guys