squeeky brakes

chris128

this has been annoying me for a couple of days but seems to be getting worse now.

Basically whenever I use my back brake I hear quite a loud squeeking sound - not like the high pitch squeel you hear from car brakes when they have worn down, its a lot deeper than that sound.

It even does it if I just sit on the bike, with the engine turned off, and push it forward a bit then squeeze the back brake slightly. I assume its just some dirt or something on the wheel but the bike was nice and clean when I bought it just over a week ago and its not as if I have ridden it through loads of mud etc so I dunno. Do you think I should just try clean the wheel & brake and if so is there anything special I should use to clean it? I'm sure someone told me ages ago that you shouldn't clean brakes with normal car/bike wash stuff so what do you use?

EDIT: just read a thread on here from a few days ago about cleaning bikes and seems like Muc-Off comes quite highly recommended. So would it be worth me getting this? https://ssl52.secure-websites.com/~alex ... litre.html as it says that it wont damage disc brake pads?

Also, how do you actually clean the back brake calipers etc as it looks quite hard to get to any of the bits that need cleaning (I've got a CBR125 but I assume its the same on any bike)

Cheers

Chris

I have exactly the same problem on my CBR125... rear brake - it's so annoying coming to a stop in the town... nice shiny bike... then you hear that squeak!

Seems worse if i haven't lubed the chain for a while, lube it and the squeaking disappears for another 100miles or so.

Try putting on the centre stand and turning the wheel backwards and forwards by hand - this might dislodge anything stuck there.

And/or use an air line to blow any debris away from your brakes.

And/or start the bike rolling to a reasonable speed and slam the back brake on to see if this might cure it.

If all else fails oil it ask your local dealer.

oh sorry, didnt notice that section! Feel free to move it :)

Para - I tried braking hard to see if that would clear it but no joy. As for putting it on the center stand and spinning the wheel I can give that a go but I would of thought if anything was stuck in there then after riding around for a few days it would of come out? (as I said, its been happening for a few days)

thanks

Chris

moved to pitstop :)

get some brake cleaner remove caliper remove pads give the caliper and pads a good clean check bolts on the brake disk check to see if you have anti squeel shims on back of pads these are very thin bits of metal apply a thin smear of copper slip to back of pads replace pads and take for a test ride

also make sure theres enough meat on the pads if no joy buy some new pads :)

muck off is good for cleaning your bike but just go to halfords or somewhere and get a brake cleaner

its a very strong solvent and obviously is for cleaning brakes :)

try not to get it on plastic as it can melt it :shock:

ah ok, so brake cleaner for cars is the same as brake cleaner for bikes yeah? (my back brake is a disc brake)

So do I just apply this brake cleaner to the actual disc on my wheel or to the calipers/pads when I've taken them off? (or both)

Thanks

Chris

spray it all over the brakes you can do it with the caliper still attached but its best to strip it down so you can get right in there

its designed to remove any grease and residue off pads and disks and remove brake dust too

it evaporates so leaves nothing behind 8-)

Ah I see, sounds good! I'll go to Halfords tomorrow after work and get some - anything that says Disc Brake Cleaner on it will do yeah? I mean if anyone has any specific brands or anything they use then that would be handy to know.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how it goes!

EDIT: Would this be ok you think? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65742#dtab

cheaper? I thought £5 was pretty cheap for anything!

Yeah we do have a motor world I think... but to be honest for the sake of saving a couple of quid I would rather just go to halfords as its easier to get to.

EDIT: besides, doing a search for Disc Brake Cleaner on halfords website only brings up the following: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... -1&x=0&y=0 and as you can see, the cheapest one is only about 70p cheaper than the muc-off one lol

Cheers

Chris