Which gloves work best?

I am deciding between 2 alpinestars gloves but am not sure if I should go for long gloves or short ones. Mainly the AFK street golve which is short and the SP-3 which is the long one.

On a race bike I believe that the added support of the longer gloves helps the wrist more but then in summer when temps. are above 35 deg. Celsius will they become too much?

Also does the SP-3 offer more protection? Thanks for your opinion...

I don't really see that much of a huge difference, and I think long/short gloves dont really make a difference to be fair.

Neither of them seem to have kevlar knuckles though? If you want maximum protection, get some with some decent kevlar on the knuckles!

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... d/63/24993

Just a quick example of kevlar gloves.

Edited by Anonymous

Not familiar with Alpine stars stuff, but you want summer gloves for your climate.

They are ventilated to save overheating and should have kevlar/toughened knuckle inserts to prevent injury.

And they must be fastened at the wrist because gloves can and do come off in an accident.

I don't really see that much of a huge difference, and I think long/short gloves dont really make a difference to be fair.

Neither of them seem to have kevlar knuckles though? If you want maximum protection, get some with some decent kevlar on the knuckles!

No Kevlar...yes I am aware that Kevlar is very light and strong and is very very good in taking impacts (the best composite I can think of) but then there is the price. I have a budget that I have to stick too...so not exactly in my range...

Many polymers are very strong and tough and I believe should offer adequate protection for a much lower price...

No Kevlar...yes I am aware that Kevlar is very light and strong and is very very good in taking impacts (the best composite I can think of) but then there is the price. I have a budget that I have to stick too...so not exactly in my range...

Many polymers are very strong and tough and I believe should offer adequate protection for a much lower price...

Take a look in shops like Hein Gericke, last time I went there they had a big sale-bucket type thing with loads of little things like gloves etc for low prices.

Or fleabay

I have about six pairs of gloves, at the last count, for my different moods and conditions.

Buy quality and look after them and they'll last for years.

I've come off loads of times and never had a problem with knuckle damage. Abrasion resistance and a secure fit are my priorities, after comfort and feel.

Don't be swayed by labels. Some famous companies charge a lot for rubbish and some independants charge little for quality.

Kangaroo skin is said to give best abrasion resistance.

Check all the stitching before you buy. Give them a good pull about. Long ones keep out more draughts and short ones let in a welcome cooling breeze.

Oil or wax will keep skin gloves weather proof. 8-)

I have about six pairs of gloves, at the last count, for my different moods and conditions.

I've come off loads of times and never had a problem with knuckle damage. Abrasion resistance and a secure fit are my priorities, after comfort and feel.

Don't be swayed by labels. Some famous companies charge a lot for rubbish and some independants charge little for quality.

Check all the stitching before you buy. Give them a good pull about. Long ones keep out more draughts and short ones let in a welcome cooling breeze.

Thanks mate...I really appreciate your replies...they always seem so composed and helpful....

Will do that...thanks

Thanks mate...I really appreciate your replies...they always seem so composed and helpful....

Will do that...thanks

Whereas mine are crap and decomposed? :mrgreen:

There's a lot of experience to be had on here - and nearly everyone is happy to help.

I recently bought a new pair of gloves for summer... Dainese Hellracer I think... around £80.

They are quite long and offer good support, decent wrist strap and carbon fibre knuckles and extra padded leather in all the right places :)

They also have small holes along the sides of the fingers for keeping cool :)

I recently bought a new pair of gloves for summer... Dainese Hellracer I think... around £80.

I've been looking for those (in yellow) where did you get them from?

Yeah they do them in a few colours. I bought them from mcaleicester.co.uk (from the shop... dunno if they do online or not).