CBR125 - What are they like to ride?

Guest GaryGK

Hi,

Looking to get a bike (Will be after I've passed CBT as I've not done yet.) and I'm wondering what the CBR125's are like to ride.

I've tried riding one geared bike before, and that was an Aprillia RS125 - learner legal.

So if you guys could let me know what the CBR125 is like to ride for a first time rider, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Gary.

Just a little XD

How does it handle and feel when riding? Corner well? Stuff like that is the sort of things I want to know :). My fault, should have said.

You should google for some reviews - there's loads about

From what i've heard, they handle well for their class, but don't go very fast (which i guess is because of the restrictive government requirements for learner-legal bikes).

It seems to be widely considered a good first bike if you don't mind spending more on your first bike (as it's not the cheapest option - things like older CG125's and EN125's and YBR125's and SR125's etc etc etc seem to fill the cheeep end of the market)

One important thing to note, it's 4-stroke - so you can't "derestrict" it because it's not restricted. BUT, it'll be easier to maintain and more reliable.

I gots me one of them a few days back. I don't have much to compair to as I have only really been on a CG125 for the CBT (and a couple of hours on a DT50 some many years ago).

I like it. It's a good bike. Has a fuel gauge which is nice, bit quicker than the CG125. You lean a bit more forward on it, just slightly but that's no problem.

As it's the best selling 125 I imagine it compairs well! I chose it because it's a 4 stroke and easier to maintain and as there are so many of them, parts should be readily available.

Paul.

I've tried riding an Aprilia RS125 before, just quickly, and I liked that. But I've always liked the look of a CBR.

I know they're pretty popular, and also not the cheapest, so I'm also looking at Aprilia RS125s.

Going to be a stupid question, but what's the difference between 4-stroke and 2-stroke?

If you can't restrict them, are they only 14bhp? Or are they 33bhp? Because you can't ride anything more powerful than ~14bhp, if I've read right... :S

On L plates, you can't ride more than 125cc, with no more than 14 (odd) bhp.

I can go in to technicalities of 2-Stroke and 4-Stroke bikes differences if you like, But day to day, 2-Strokes rev higher and have a narrower power band. They are however usually faster. BUT they need a top end rebuild every, I dno, 10,000 miles? (you'd have to ask an expert) but this is expensive. They also tend to be less reliable. 2 Strokes also run on a mix of Petrol and " Stroke oil, which makes them a bit more expensive to run. They also stink of burning 2 stroke oil and sound dredful.

CBR-125 is probably the fastest of the 125cc four strokes, along with the Yam. R125. but an RS125 will be quicker.

brillant bikes, i got one forsale £500 if you want it, fun lil "sport" bike knee down can be achived and wheelies are posable if you weigh less than 14 stone which i dont lol.

i was 6ft and was to big for it but i passed my test and got a real bike lol

brillant bikes, i got one forsale £500 if you want it, fun lil "sport" bike knee down can be achived and wheelies are posable if you weigh less than 14 stone which i dont lol.

01101000011011110111011100100000011011010111010101100011011010110100001101111011101110010000001101101011101010110001101100000010000001100110011011110111001000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110001001101001011010110110010100100000

01101000011011110111011100100000011011010111010101100011011010110100001101111011101110010000001101101011101010110001101100000010000001100110011011110111001000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110001001101001011010110110010100100000

i know pennies it is a project bike atm as it was involved in a crash in feb the damage isnt bad its just cluttering my garage

I've had one for a year and can't really fault it as a learner bike.

It's a very small bike but I manage fine at 5'10. The performance is fine for my commute but being learner legal it doesn't have the power for hills and forget about overtaking safely at anything above 50 mph. It's frustrating coming off a roundabout behind a van and seeing them pull aside to let you overtake but even on full throttle you can't even catch up :lol: However, I have had too many pies and at 14stone probably cripple the performance.

As for handling, it's very lightweight but the brakes are not very strong. I don't need to use them much though, as simply rolling off the throttle slows you down as much as most cars do on their brakes.

Mine has lasted through a year of daily use without any mechanical troubles and seems to do about 100mpg even at full throttle half the time. I would recommend one.

My experience of the Aprilia RS125 is that of a reluctant mechanic who had to carry out a complete engine rebuild when the boy's second hand, dropped a few times, 5 year old one seized. We got it running but it never went right and cost him about £500 in total on top of the £800 he paid for it for 3 weeks use. This is why I went for a new 4 stroke Honda :D

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry I haven't replied, PC problems.

I'm looking for a CBR125 or a R125. Or something similar. I'm staying away from RS125s for the reasons you lot have said.

I'm looking for a relatively cheap bike (Under £1000) that needs little to no work to get it running. Not too fussed about scratches on the bike, but I don't want massive gashes down it :D

Now I've passed my CBT, I can seriously start looking XD

Remember the CBR is verryyy small. As in at 5'6'' i found it only just right. (sat on all sorts of bikes yesterday)

If you want something bigger, get a YBR or something, they are cheaper and not really much slower from what i have heard.

You're not going to get a decent condition CBR for under a grand because i think they only started making them in 04 (last i checked - a few weeks back - the Bike Trader prices placed them at £1300+ for even the oldest ones).

I think slugworth1987 is selling a CBR for £500 (dirt cheap!), but it looks to me like it'll need quite a lot of work doing and parts replacing before it's rideable again (so unless you know someone who will do the work cheaply...)

Here's the link anyway: http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20389

And someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure the R125 only came out really recently - and that it's really expensive for a 125 to boot.

For under a grand, i think you'll probably have to be looking at the cheap commuter 125s (not necessarily a bad thing imo, spend the bulk of your money on good protective gear instead!)

Edit: Not sure where you're based, but i might be looking to sell an 02 plate CG125 over the next few months if it helps.

I am about 5 11 and my CBR 125 is comfortable. Not too big for it.

If you want a CBR125 for under £1000 watch ebay. They have been getting more expensive as the better weather has been coming round, but you might be able to get one for that if you keep 'em peeled.

I am about 5 11 and my CBR 125 is comfortable. Not too big for it.

If you want a CBR125 for under £1000 watch ebay. They have been getting more expensive as the better weather has been coming round, but you might be able to get one for that if you keep 'em peeled.

I found on bike trader they have been getting cheaper!! Now or in the next 6months are probably best (due to credit crunch 'n all) Also, remember the CBR was Carbs and now is fuel injected, not sure of what year that was introduced though ? May wana check that.

Was the late end of 2007.

To tell the difference by looking at the pictures, look for the choke on the pre-injection models. It's just above the left handle-bar, below the speedo.

Was the late end of 2007.

To tell the difference by looking at the pictures, look for the choke on the pre-injection models. It's just above the left handle-bar, below the speedo.

Yeap, true.

I had a 2008 CBR125 up until about a week ago and I'm not the tallest or heaviest of people so it suited me quite well. They are not really "sporty" when you compare them to bigger bikes but for a 4 stroke 125 they are one of the better options you have if you like sports bikes. When I bought mine I was torn between the CBR and the NSR but eventually because of the extra maintenence and reliability issues that can crop up with 2 stroke's I went for the CBR.

Mine certainly never let me down and always started first time (although I did only have it 6 months). The only thing I disliked about it really was the lack of power but there's no getting away from that when you can only ride 14 BHP I'm afraid (it still gets up to about 70 mph though...just takes its time getting there).

Like others have said, I think you will need to spend a little more than £1000 if you want a decent one, probably around £1500.

As for budget, it's been increased about £400 thanks to my parents taking pitty on me! So I'm looking for around £1400 now.

The one thing that puts me off of the CBR is the rear wheel... It looks very small. I've tried riding one off road (school driveway) and it didn't seem too bad, but I'm wondering what it's like on road, cornering etc. For that reason, I'm looking at the Aprilia RS125s again, but still considering a CBR.

I'm about 5'10-11" and about 11 1/2 stone.

R125 is just a thought. I know it's pretty new, and highly unlikely I'll get one, but it'd be nice to get one to wind my mate up :P

Why do 2-strokes need a lot of maintenance? Moreso that 4-strokes? I don't know that much about engines, so I don't really know why...

I bought one from ebay a month back. I'm 6 foot and find it a little too small at times. When I put my head down my helmet touches the windscreen.

You can take them on A roads and they will get to 70mph if you push it hard enough, I've actually had mine to 80mph, but that was a long straight with the wind on my back and a slight downwards hill. The engine was also screaming at me.

It handles corners very well, even with the very thin tires it has. Fuel consumption is good, you've got a 10 litre tank which'll get you 150 miles if you ride sensibly. It's very reliable and looks great, if a little small.

Fair enough... I'm not too much smaller. I'm about 5' 10"

Can't really complain as it'll be a first bike, and I'll get a bigger bike soon enough. It's not like I'm going to be stuck riding it forever. So I don't mind it being a tad small, sometimes.

Thanks for the extra info. That's the sort of info I'm looking for.

I've just got the CBR btw, 2005 model. =]

• 3 weeks later...

After passing my CBT in October i bought a 'good as new' 2005 Honda CBR for £1100. I rode it regularly for 6 months and found it ideal for learning on. The fuel economy is very good (probably close to 100mpg) and although it is slow as many have already pointed out it is only a 125 after all. Now that i have passed my full licence i have bought a Suzuki GSX650F to learn the ropes so unfortunately for my Honda it is now sat redundant in the garage until it can be sold. It is a bike i would recommend for learning on as it is fun to ride, practical and probably one of the best looking 125's on the market - but then i might be biased. Good look in your search.

The CBR is probably one of the nippiest learners out there - my mate has one, and I have the CBF, and he leaves me in the dust every time. It has a more forward riding position than normal commuter bikes, which takes some getting used to - but if you've ridden the Aprilia, it shouldnt be so bad. I'd be careful though, if you drop/crash/highside a CBR125, it can be pretty expensive because of all the fairings. My mate hit the back of a car (daft sod) and spent about £500 on plastics alone once he got back on the road.

Overall, they're a fun little bike, and reliable as hell! Honda quality :D