which tank bag?

Guest nellyp

I have decided to buy a tankbag for my GSXf600. I will be taking my shoes and lunchbox in it plus bits and pieces. I should really have room for bike trousers but that is not essential. Any ideas of a good make and size (maybe an expandable for the trousers) as there are loads out there to chose from. I think I would like a smaller one I can use as a backpack if I go for a walk as well. Cheers all, I'm off for a ride now before I go to work :lol: P.S Will any magnetic tankbag fit my bike :?:

I have a Baglux tank cover with tank bag which is great as it protects you tank as well, but it is dearer than a normal tank bag..Checkout Ebay you get some cheap gear on there if you dont want to spend a lot.. Oxford stuff come with good recomentations.. good luck..

I'd have to recommend Baglux as well if you can justify the expense. Very well made and has the added advantage of it not being able to fall off :lol: I had one for severel years and it was perfect for commuting to work but great if you needed something larger for a weekend away. I've got an Oxford Humpback tank bag now as Baglux don't do any tank covers for Morinis and I needed a non magnetic one. It's proved to be pretty good although a little small than I would have liked. Expandable though so may be perfect for what you're looking for...and it can be warn as a backpack when not on the bike!

I bought mine from Lidl for about £20 I think. Although I haven't actually used it yet, you can't beat the price. :lol:

ha ha yes excellent bag mine lasted 2 year till i gave it to a friend and was still immaculate condition

I also have a GSX600F and got my tank bag off ebay about 6 months ago for about £11! I don't know the make but basically you should look for one that's expandable and it's best if it has detachable compartments (mine has 3 compartments that all come away from each other - so I can have one big massive sticky uppy thing or just a flat map pocket for my sat nav). At £11 quid I was surprised at how good it is. It's never let any rain in and is pretty tidy, even has extra straps so I can carry it round on my shoulder.

It sticks to the tank using about 6 magnets, the tank being steel and all. It looks quite a bit like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-EXPANDABLE- ... 240%3A1318

Just thought - whatever you get, magnetic or otherwise it's a good idea to get some of that rubber non-slip matting stuff they sell in the £ shop. It stops dirt and grit getting between the bag and the paintwork and making a horrible scratchy mess :mrgreen:

Just thought - whatever you get, magnetic or otherwise it's a good idea to get some of that rubber non-slip matting stuff they sell in the £ shop. It stops dirt and grit getting between the bag and the paintwork and making a horrible scratchy mess :mrgreen:

:stupid: if you take it off, then put it somewhere where it is not going to pic up contaminents, i went to Scotland put mine down on the ground, and when i picked it up it had metal fillings stuck to the magnets, which would have scratched my tank.. now i stick it to anything metal.. Signs, steel columns at the petrol station..

also, when fitted you need to be able to manouvere it to fill up.. i find lifting the back(and leaving the front harness clipped up) works, but it depends on how loaded up you have it.

...when fitted you need to be able to manouvere it to fill up.. i find lifting the back(and leaving the front harness clipped up) works, but it depends on how loaded up you have it.

Whenever I have mine on I try, wherever possible, to use petrol stations where I can pay at the pump. That way all I have to do is pull the bag towards me a bit, fill up and push it forward again, don't even have to get off the bike. Also saves having to get off, unclip sat nav headphones (if you have them), take sat nav out of bag (if that's where you keep it), lift seat up to disconnect sat nav charger from battery, etc, etc...

Thanks all, loads of advice. My budget just fell through the floor though as my misses has told me she is pregnant again. I might have a look at the one in the link as it is only £14 and has 24 litre capacity. I had a look at a 20 litre and didn't think that would be enough. Maybe I'll hang on a while and see what comes up on ebay though. Thanks all you have been great especialy the tips about scratches etc :cheers:

:shock: You can't put a baby in a tank bag! Haha!

If you have two you could put them in panniers.............. or get a top box with a hole in it.. works for dogs... :cheers:

EDIT: my sister would kill me if i even mentioned this about my nephew... :roll:

apparently the baby is the size of a grain of rice at the moment, so I am not buying a bag now I'm gonna stick a rice cooker on the back seat with some bungee straps :lol:

bit off topic, but where does the front harness attach to? i was gifted one. it has a front harness which is basically a loop. Also got to clips at the side which maybe a luggage strap or something goes through and the magnets to stick it down

Tried my tank bag and soft paniers today.

Mine also has that loop which attaches round the handlebars.

Like here below the ignition.

http://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/garage.php?mode=view_image&image_id=742

Also has side straps as well as the magnets.

Nice wee bag actually.

More worried about the throw over paniers though.

Shock of shocks! My tank bag that was really cheap off ebay last year turns out to be from Aldi of all places! They do some good stuff there and I hear they're currently selling more bike gear so get down and take a look.

I stumbled on this whilst checking for this years stock:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_5408.htm

It's from last year but I bet this years is similar.