Jeans - Not which ones, but when & where do you wear yours?

OK, so the Jeans thing has been almost done to death, which is a good thing, as it's left me with plenty to read on the subject, plenty of links and the like.

What I'd like to know is, are they comfortable? Could you wear them in the office without looking like you're wearing a pair of bike jeans? Are they comfortable enough for regular wear? Am I still likely to go in to "self-clean mode" on a hot day?

Guest akey

Boot,

I have the redroute jeans, and they look like normal jeans (not the ones with zips at the ankles).

Yes you can wear them all day in the office - I have used them as normal jeans all day before now, they are also cooler than my summer leathers on a hot day, however they are as hot as normal jeans on a hot day.

I tend to use mine for those short runs when its hot and I dont want to wear leathers all day (nipping into town, or going out with mates), I also use a feildsheer mach 1 mesh jacket when its really hot.

I dont wear them when I'm off out for a decent run, or a more spirited ride. Hope this helps.

I have some Hood jeans, which are significantly hotter than normal jeans off the bike. They have an unbroken, woven inner layer of kevlar right down to the top of your boots. Great for protection and keeping the wind out when you're riding, but it a) makes them heavy, and b) means they do not breath when you start to sweat trying to wheel the bike around on fine gravel like I was yesterday!

I also have knox armour fitted - again great for protection, but not so good off the bike. I wouldn't wear mine all day in the office.

I can't speak for the sort which have the more breathable, knitted, kevlar on the ass and knees

Thanks chaps.

I'm looking for to wear the jeans as I would normally (i.e. for work each day), however cost wise, I'd be looking at a few pairs, and really want something that's comfortable. I'll check out the redroute jeans next time I'm over chesterfield. The other option I've considered, is buying kevlar fabric and making my own liners which are transferrable for my existing clothing, at around £20 a square metre, it might be worth doing. Also looked at Cordura for lining, but not found a supplier yet.

Hmm...

Guest akey

If you do go down the self made route, you will need to budget for a pair of kevlar sheers, you can't cut kevlar cloth with normal scissors, its just too tough (I used to use it for making carbon kevlar repairs on aircraft).