Play in front rotor

stevie16v

bike was in for a wee checkover yesterday and carb balance, Now running awesome, Much smoother and more responsive. However, the mechanic told me that there is slight play in the front right caliper, He showed me it aswell. Apparently its normal through wear and tear and the stage it is at is fine, Just to keep an eye on it. Stupidly i didnt ask him how to sort it, So anyone able to shed any light?

Its bolted correctly to the fork leg? If so the only other movement could be the sliding part of the caliper, which is what its supposed to do tbh. the pins are usually greased so they slide freely and shouldn't wear, the pads are secured with into the caliper body(item 11/12), so without seeing it I 'm not sure what other movement there could be.

Theyre def bolted on properly and correctly torqued up. It only does it on one side aswell. I didnt notice it, it was the mechanic in the shop. Just checked the sheet. It says front right brake disc has play on the spools? So maybe ive been a bit off the mark

Theyre def bolted on properly and correctly torqued up. It only does it on one side aswell. I didnt notice it, it was the mechanic in the shop. Just checked the sheet. It says front right brake disc has play on the spools? So maybe ive been a bit off the mark

Erm, thats the disc, not the caliper!!!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd76/kjandrosie/groan-1.gif

Edited by kja.busa

you can tell me to shut up...

SHUT UP!!!!! :up:

yes,

but could you take the disc off and hammer the spools closed... afterall they're just like big rivets... put the disc on some wood, so as not to damage it and with a socket the size oof the spool, go round and tap them all, then refit..

or am i being simple...

SHUT UP!!!!! :up:

yes,

but could you take the disc off and hammer the spools closed... afterall they're just like big rivets... put the disc on some wood, so as not to damage it and with a socket the size oof the spool, go round and tap them all, then refit..

or am i being simple...

Do you really want to "bodge" your brakes like that for the sake of £100? I'll replace mine thanks.

Do you really want to "bodge" your brakes like that for the sake of £100? I'll replace mine thanks.

isn't that how the replacement buttons are fitted??

But the ones that are in the disc currently are worn, thats worn on the external diameter of the button, and the new ones will be fitted with a hydraulic press, not a "'kin big 'ammer and a lump of wood!"

But the ones that are in the disc currently are worn, thats worn on the external diameter of the button, and the new ones will be fitted with a hydraulic press, not a "'kin big 'ammer and a lump of wood!"

ok, never had this problem, but will know not to get the hammer out.......

do you have to replace discs as a pair like on my cage (car)....? obviously new pads...

ok, never had this problem, but will know not to get the hammer out.......

do you have to replace discs as a pair like on my cage (car)....? obviously new pads...

Deffo new pads to go with the new disc, but if only one disc is worn, i'd replace just the one. Its safety Frank, brakes have to be right mate, can't bodge things like that.

but could you take the disc off and hammer the spools closed...

SHUT THE F@#k UP......

sorry frankie but the buttons usually allow the disc to 'float'

they aren't riveted that tight. the rotor is alloy and the disc steel. they expand at different rates so there has to be movement at the 'button' or 'rivot'.

if you look at the new ebc disc range, you'll see they have developed a new elongated button to reduce wear/wieght, it's designed to allow movement.

thought you knew better than to go for a bodge job... :o

thought you knew better than to go for a bodge job... :o

And now i know better.. and so does everyone else..

doubtful I would have bodged it anyway, one the disc was off it would be easier to drop in a new one than remove, refit etc for a few miles.. (with the thought in your head,, what if.....) but i'd change only the one disc, but both sets of pads.. to keep them equal..

I don't usually bodge things, would rather take the time and get it right, it was just a thought (Mad one at that... :oops: )

Guest akey

If you can get an OEM disc then I would change just the one, but if you go for replacement (EBC or braking wave) then you will need to replace both.

If you can get an OEM disc then I would change just the one, but if you go for replacement (EBC or braking wave) then you will need to replace both.

wouldn't that depend on whether you currently had OEM or EBC on..

if my brakes were EBC, then shouldn't i only need to change the u/s one for another of the same..

I don't need to change my discs as yet.. but for future info and anyone following this thread...

I went from standard Suzuki discs, worn out, to Braking Wavy's, admittedly good, but knackered in 12-15,000 mile and back to standard Suzuki, as Suzuki had their discs on offer at the time, autumn last year. Fitted two sets of Suzuki pads, cleaned the calipers and I can't fault them, although I should point out I do run a Brembo radial master cylinder too. All this talk of standard discs being poor is just that, talk, I race at Santa Pod regularly, and heavily brake from 140mph in a fairly short space, no problems whatsoever.