How to determine the cause of my oil 'dump'

chrisgatguis

Hi all,

I've got a major problemo with my bike! as mentioned in the general chat area I broke down in a puff of smoke on my way to work yesterday..

Riding along, gave it too much welly in too low a gear and red lined the bike for probably 2 seconds..

Next thing i know theres smoke pouring out of the bike, I pulled over ASAP and the bike preceeded to drop about a litre of oil onto the road... (I then got rescued by the friendly AA man)

I've taken the RHS fairing off for a good look.. however theres nothing obvious as to where the oil was coming from..

Generally speaking though, by eye the lower end of the engine is soaking wet, and theres more oil on the RHS (RHS exhaust is wet right to the top, left hand exhaust is dry)..

Bearing in mind that my Right leg / boot was soaked in oil it does seem to be something on the RHS thats possibly caused it.

Do you think i should top the oil back up and fire the bike up to see if i can trace where the oil is escaping? how risky is this?

My thinking is at least if i can work out what is wrong i can then go to a garage (somehow - get the bike there?:s) and get them to fix it (unless its something i can do)...

Oh yeha - its a 1998 GSXF 600, 4 cylinder, oil cooled

Cheers

Chris

A load of oil on the floor then it looks like you've blown your engine my friend. Most likely you’ve done a piston. Probably a piston is holed or the piston rings broke, resulting in the crankcase being pressurised causing all the engine oil being pumped out of the exhaust system or crankcase vent. You can do test for each cylinder for compression with a meter. But it is fair to say its a major strip down anyway being that the cylinder head and block is in all one piece.

Its a GSXF

........at the front of the engine where the oil cooler pipes (from the Radiator down) are theres 2 banjo blots, sounds like one one these has spat out, i had mine replaced on the bandit as they leaked, also someone else on here had an oil leak and from the banjo bolts..

your fairing would have hidden that you had a problem, and the oil probably pooled in the plastics.. until the bolt was too lose..

theres a manual on here in the guides and manuals..

we share engines.. :mrgreen:

hi thanks for the replies...

I've took the fairing off and had a good look..

I see the two banjo bolts you are talking about but my major problem is working out where the leak is..

Only way i can think of to narrow it down is to fill up the oil and run it again and see where it comes from!..

Think i'll ring the garage tomorrow and see what they suggest.

i would give it a good clean first and see if theres any loose bolts..

also have you done any work lately on the bike..

oil filter?

any work needs to be revisited just in case it was faulty..

seen this happen on gsx11,s engine breather never been cleaned [pipe blocked/on gs1000,use to be a little filter on top of rocker box then pipe goes to airbox [causes pressure and rocker gaskets to blow [[pm me guisboro area

• 2 weeks later...

right - thats the bike going in the garage next week.

I stook a little oil in and fired it up..

the oils coming from the top of the RHS cyclinder.. The mechanic reckons its a probable / possible head gasket fail..

he's collecting the bike next week so god knows how it'l unfold.. i guess if its too expensive it'l be a write off maybe but not sure how that all works.

:( oh well