Trying to register imported bike - any advice?

Guest Jazzer

Hiyas,

Can anyone give me some advice on how to be able to register an imported bike which I dont have any paperwork for? It's a new bike, only 2 miles on the meter, and only been used for show so it's never been registered before since it came into the UK. Paperwork has been lost by a previous owner and I don't have any information of it other than the VIN number. I'd like to ride it and tried to register it with the DVLA, but they need to see some paperwork that says dates and stuff. I've tried emailing the manufactorer (Huanan) in China, asking for paperwork and giving them the VIN number, but they're not replying so far.

I'm completely lost and so new to this :roll: Is there any other way I can get some paperwork to identify the bloody thing? :mrgreen:

Cheers!

:stupid:

Says it all really, unless you have a certificate of conformaty (sp) you cant register it. The other option may be to get the vehicle tested independantly (like the old Q plate system), not sure how much this will cost or even if this route is still open.

Might be worth looking around the self build and streetfighter/chopper sites or mags for advice.

Thanks, I'd found that link already :) I've already been to the DVLA's office and I know what to do to get it resgistered, it's just the paperwork I need.

"New vehicles must have a certificate of conformity as proof of type approval from the supplier or vehicle manufacturer."

That's the problem, I don't have any certificates or any other paperwork and the manufacturer is not responding to my requests. The bike must be about 1 or 2 years old, maybe older, and only been used for show so far. DVLA said they would see it as 'used'. It's never had a license plate or been registered anywhere before.

:stupid:

Might be worth looking around the self build and streetfighter/chopper sites or mags for advice.

Thanks, I think that would be my best option :mrgreen:

you need to get it SVA'd then, this is like an MOT, check out Trikers sites they have to go through this to prove roadworthy, no pointy bits to impale pedestrians on etc.. your local council should be able to point you in direction of one..

What is the Single Vehicle Approval scheme? The Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) scheme is a pre-registration inspection for light goods vehicles that haven't been type approved to British or European standards. The purpose of the scheme is to ensure that these vehicles are designed and constructed to suitable safety standards before they are used on public roads.

Your vehicle will be subject to the SVA scheme if it is one of the following:

Personal Import and others deleted to shorten post. more here

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... DG_4022105