Oil filter leak

steer_rally

My XJ600 (pre diversion) has a screw-on filter housing with an internal replaceable oil filter. I changed the filter last week, and since then it's been leaking oil from the seal between the housing and the engine block. So I took the filter back off and the large O-ring that should make a seal between the housing and the block looked old and perished. I then ordered a new O-ring, which looked less squashed than the old one, so thought I'd cured the problem. However, when I replaced the filter, with the new O-ring, it's still leaking. I made sure not to over-tighten the filter bolt, but tried tightening it a bit at a time to see if the leaking stopped, but it's still leaking at a rate of one drop every 10 seconds or so. It feels as though the O-ring is too thin, almost as if the recess that the O-ring sits in is too deep, and that the two metal faces (engine and filter housing) are making direct contact. Has anyone come accross this before, and does anyone have any suggestions or cures. A thicker O-ring maybe?

Thanks for looking.

which year????

as its an internal filter, i would recheck the o-ring, was it a OE part, or aftermarket,

this is a 1993 model...

is it part no 3, here.. See picture..

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj600se-sec ... /B-01.html

if you take the part no. into your yamaha dealer they should be able to sort you out..

but from the picture, shouldn't the filter(4) have just unspun from the thread (2) without the cover (1) coming off. are you sure the leak is from the o-ring (3) or could it be from the filter (4)

if its a screw on filter it should have come with the o-ring attached, if not get another one..

also when changing screw on filters, wipe the mating surfaces to clean and ensure that the old o-ring has come off, 2 O-rings don't make a seal....

yep, found out the hard way.....

the XJ600 became the XJ600n/Divvy in 1993, so here is the exploded XJ550 (Don't have access to the 600,)

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/ ... 2_f63b.gif

if this is the same type as yours, then i would check that the o-ring is seated properly, as that would be the first probable cause fo a seal fail..

lightly oil the ring, so it aids fitment, and try again, sometimes a second time round, with less haste can cure a multitude of problems..

i would also check that part (16) is fully home otherwise, this would cause a loose fit.. as your mounting screws into it..

and have you included the washer between the cover and the bypass assembly.. (No.4) again would result in a loose fit

Thanks for the replies. It's a 1989 model, with a similar filter arrangement to the XJ550 above.

I had thought of trying two o-rings (the old one and the new one) together, but thought it probably wouldn't work. I've cleaned the filter casing thoroughly, and the block face, oiled the o-ring, and tried tightening the bolt gradually so as not to crush the rubber, but the bolt comes to a sudden stop (i.e it won't turn any more) when the two metal faces meet. To be honest it seems as if the recess is too deep for the o-ring, so that the ring is sitting inside the recess instead of against the face of the engine block. The recess is also wider than the o-ring, meaning that the rubber can squash outwards to fill the recess instead of making a good seal. Maybe the filter housing is not the correct one for the bike? The o-ring I bought is the one listed for the bike, and is identical to the one I removed (except new, obviously).

I will try again, and check the part (16) as suggested, but the only other option I can see is to try and find an o-ring of the same diameter but thicker, if that makes sense. Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm trying to make sure I get all the info one her.

Thanks again, and any further opinions most welcome. :cheers:

I think I may have fixed it. I've got another XJ (or about half of one anyway) for spares, and I took the filter housing off that one, fitted it to my bike with the new filter and o-ring, leaked a bit at first so I tightened it a smidge and hey presto, no more oil leak :?

It felt more like there was actually rubber in between the two metal faces this time. So it looks like I've cured it, although still not sure what the problem was. Anyway, glad I decided not to sell the other, scrap bike now. Think I'll keep it, looks like it's going to come in handy :D

Thanks again for your help. Going for my Mod 1 next week, so I'm sure I'll be posting loads more problems once I actually start riding my bike :oops: