Top end rebuild time

ginge511

Gasket gunk? Surely just replacing the gaskets is all that's needed? Sometimes you don't even need to replace them, it depends on how worn they look. Are you thinking of the paste you can use instead of OEM gaskets?

Just a quiclk question before i start.

Do i need gasket gunk for when i put the gaskets on?

I didn't get none when they sent it out.

Should i buy some?

it's always worth having some liquid gasket to hand when your doing this sort of thing. but you need to make sure it is the right type for the application. i think its the orange loctite stuff that is appropriate for most things on a bike (high temp, oil and water resistant but check the packet before you buy). definately don't use it on the head gasket though as you could put too much on and cause minor distortion of the head. i think there is other gasket stuff for holding them in place while you assemble the engine but personally, i use a dab or two of normal greese to hold things in place during assembly. the only place i needed liquid gasket was on the rocker cover of my zx9r. it was recomended in the haynes manual (but that is unusual!). most o-ring seals will benifit from a drop of oil or greese particularly the valve stem seals (very light coating of oil).

best of luck...

Hi all.

I did not bother with the gasket gunk and just stayed with the gasket set i got from pjprime.

After taking the top end off and getting to the piston and cylinder.

There was 1 fairly big score in the cylinder :(

Heres the pics.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9108/dsc00603x.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/1772/dsc00604.jpg

In the 1st pic, it is the 1st looking score that is the score, the others are water.

How much to resleave it?

Or will i need an new cylinder?

And when i checked the conrod, i moved it left to right and it moved say 1-2 mm most.

I tried moving it up and down and it did not budge.

Does this mean the bottom end is fine?

And it is an 2003 aprilia my bike m8.

125??

why resleeve,

just get bored out by 0.5mm with a new piston and rings.. check with your local bike shop for places, or a metal workers..

How much am i looking at for that to be done to it?

And when i checked the conrod, i moved it left to right and it moved say 1-2 mm most.

I tried moving it up and down and it did not budge.

Does this mean the bottom end is fine?

thats normal so no need for concern there :D

it is usually worth replacing the small end bearing given the other work you are doing. also inspect the gudgeon pin. it should be slightly shiny where the small end bearing sits but you shouldn't be able to feel any step or change in the profile of the pin when you run your finger over it.

Careful with that advice Walney, If its an RS you also have to remember some models used a Nikasil lining on the sleeving meaning that boring it out a bit is an impossibility.

An aftermarket new cylinder costs £250 for the complete set. Or resleeving is possible for lower cost.

Careful with that advice Walney, If its an RS you also have to remember some models used a Nikasil lining on the sleeving meaning that boring it out a bit is an impossibility.

An aftermarket new cylinder costs £250 for the complete set. Or resleeving is possible for lower cost.

Hence

just get bored out by 0.5mm with a new piston and rings.. check with your local bike shop for places, or a metal workers..

they should be able to inform whether it can or cant be ......

as you are a expert on the RS maybe you should give him the advice he seeks..

Yep that is where i 1st posted my stuff, just needed different opinions that is all, as we all know, there are some damn cowboys about these days giving bad advice to newcomers like myself.

Anyway.

I just rang up http://www.pjme.co.uk/ and they quoted me for getting my cylinder resleaved alone at 12198.

Isn't there any cheaper places to try?

As i already have a vortex piston,gaskets ,rings,conrod bearing etx etx ready for fitting?

Any links would be great people thanks :)

Pjme are wollowing in there success atm i think as they seem the most expensive of the 1s i know of.

I've a few left to ring tomoz but need more just to get the cheapest 1s :)