Theory test

Guest EasyJimbo

I am going to book my theory test in a few weeks, I have been a car driver for over 15 years but never done a theory test. Anyone got any advice or are these easy to pass?. I intend on reading my learn to ride book so I can answer the questions.

James

Don't worry about it, I've been a car driver for 8 years and sooooo much was just common sense and thinking of myself in a car if I got stuck!!!

I bought this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Su ... 505&sr=8-1

just to help me out with the Hazard perception part, again that was easier than I thought as my driving experience really helped. So much is common sense so don't worry too much about it

Experienced driver or not, I'd definitely get that DVD and practise with it. I've been driving 17 years and found it invaluable.

The highway code questions shouldn't be too much of a problem, but there are quite a few motorcycle-specific questions which aren't obvious. There's also the questions about arm signals, trams and a few other bits and pieces, which have little or no relevance in the real world but which the DSA still persists in including - so make sure you don't get caught out by them. (I got 50/50 on the day but wouldn't have done without practise).

If you've not done the Hazard Perception test before then that's definitely worth practising too. It's a great idea in theory but it's come in for a lot of stick from both candidates and instructors alike, as the scoring is quite subjective. It's quite easy to click too early for a hazard (especially if you're experienced) and score zero, or click too often and get accused of cheating (which also scores zero).

Do also make sure you watch all 10 of the DSA official test clips - included on that DVD - because many of the hazards in the real test are staged, and they develop over a much longer period than all the 'unofficial' clips the software has. This could easily throw off your timing too if you're not prepared for it.

I practised a lot, and thought I'd done well on the real test - but passed with "only" 60/75. (OK, so the pass mark is just 45 - but I have high standards!!)

I did mine the other week, it's nothing to worry about. Worth going through that 'learn to ride' book though, I had the same one. Just read it then go through all the questions in the back, highlighting the ones you feel are a little bit tricky. That should guarantee a pass for the multiple choice part.

As for the hazard perception, just follow the instructions carefully and don't loose concentration. Getting a dvd to practice wouldn't hurt either I suppose.