BikeSafe - Edgbaston - 3rd and 4th of October

Guest Horness

The paperwork has arrived confirming that I have a place on the BikeSafe course running in Edgbaston, Birmingham on the 3rd and 4th of October.

Thanks to some additional funding I managed to get it for free!

Anyone else from TMBF attending?

Pete - fill in the form here -> http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/Bikesafe2000/england/westmids/westmidlands.html

As soon as they have more places they will inform you. Looks like the West Mids Police received some extra funding and managed to offer the remainder of the years courses free of charge. They're all fully booked now (so it says)

I went online look to book and pay - and ended up with a free course - RESULT!

• 1 month later...

I had a great time at the weekend with the West Midlands Police BikeSafe Course.

Initially I was full of pre-test fear when I arrived. I was expecting a regimented drill Sergeant bellowing instructions down my ear as I rode down unfamiliar lanes dodging from side-to-side like a rabbit trying to avoid being run over by the fast approaching vehicle behind - thankfully this was not the case.

Instead I was allowed to ride my ride, fast or slow, and all of the feedback was in the form of positive things to try, or rational things to avoid.

Diary

Day One

08:15 Arrived, greeted by a couple of friendly Police riders and some other like-minded bikers

08:30 Sign in, then off to canteen for coffee and chats

09:00 Over to classroom for:

• Introductions
  • Some rather grizzly motorcycle accident stats
  • Why people are here, and what we hope to get out of it
  • Watch some video's on cornering, observation and road position

10:45 Introduced to and paired up with the Police riders who will be observing

11:00 Out for a Ride under observation

11:45 Stop off for a brief chat, and some pointers

12:00 Head back, including a bit of motorway work

12:30 Lunch in the canteen.

13:30 Bike skills training with Craig Jones

• Cone speed challenge (wow to the guys on Bandit and Fazer!!)
  • The "Snowman" pattern (3 decreasing circles to ride) followed by some zig-zags.

15:30 Coffee's & chat outside

16:00 Back to classroom to conclude

16:15 Thanks, and Free DVD from Craig Jones, and some info on his Bike Skills Academy courses.

16:30 Go Home

Day Two

08:15 Arrived

08:30 Sign in, then off to canteen for coffee and chats

09:00 Over to classroom for:

• Introduction to The Police Riding System
  • Watch some more videos on observation and position
  • Discussion about pro's and con's, and do not forsake safety for a better view

10:30 Coffee break

11:00 Back to Class Room for more discussion, videos and slides.

12:30 Lunch

13:30 Back to class room to gear up for another ride out.

13:45 Ride out, again under observation, this time on more National Speed Limit Roads.

14:30 Stop for observation feedback, and leader change & coffee (don't think we were far from Bassetts).

15:00 Back out, again NSL, making progress under observation

16:40 Returned to classroom for conclusion, bit about advanced training, and thanks.

17:00 Certificates handed out

17:15 Go Home

What the above does not show is the fun factor. The course was run by Pc Marcus McCormick and Ps Richard Breeze and they, along with the supporting Police Riders made the entire 2 days fun and completely stress free.

Craig Jones (who unfortunately was recovering from an elbow operation, so could not demo) explained with the help of a couple of Police Riders just how well bikes can turn if operated correctly, almost to the point of defying gravity. Even though there were cones involved - they were not nasty module 1 type cones, these were there to have some fun with.

Having had a taster of a method that actually makes riding easier and a lot more enjoyable I am now looking at either IAM or ROSPA route (probably IAM as Pc Marcus McCormick is the Chief Training Officer for Birmingham IAM), as I figure I can either spend copious amounts of money on future bike mods that "may" increase my bike's performance, or a fraction of that increasing my skills which will increase my riding performance.

To anyone not sure about attending, for whatever reason - Do it. You won't regret it.

BikeSafe is an initiative run by Police Forces around the United Kingdom, and as such is not offered by all forces. Show your support and get your name down.

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/images/newbikesafelogosml.gif

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk

Things to remember

• Multimap directions were wrong, giving the entrance off the Edgbaston Road, when in fact that's a no entry, you enter via the Pershore Road
  • You will need both parts of your drivers licence, MOT and Insurance certificates
  • Check your tyre pressures
  • Fill up with fuel (I averaged 85 miles each day) and check other fluids as well
  • Don't forget your sense of humour
  • Enjoy it and have fun