Lorenzo signs for

techno

Although unwilling to discuss his new Yamaha pay deal, rumoured to have been doubled from 2 to 4 million euros a year, Lorenzo admitted that “if I was only interested in money, I would have gone to Ducati.”

Ducati is said to have offered Lorenzo 6.5 million euros a year (second only to six time MotoGP champion Rossi, on 14 million a year).

Makes you wonder what Stoner thinks of this?

I honestly can't see anyone currently in MotoGP beating Rossi next year barring injury. Also new rules don't allow a rookie (Spies?) to join a factory team except Suzuki.

If bens pies was gonna go to yamaha to tech 3 you really believe he wouldnt have the all singing all dancing factory bike?

Thats how they get past that rule!

It makes sense if he wants to stay close to Rossi - he and the Yamaha are well suited, doing very well, and he knows the engineers.

If you take Rossi off the track, Lorenzo comes out as the top rider right now. Obviously some of this will be thanks to a well suited and balanced bike put together by the engineers. It's a shame Stoner could not have had a better year with his health, as he's left it open for Pedrosa to work his way up. Both are capable winners though, and would give Lorenzo a challenge on similar bikes.

However, when you see Lorenzo and Rossi together (or Rossi and Stoner) there still seems to be a big gap in ability on the track. This gap may close next year with Lorenzo getting another year under his belt, and Rossi being older and possibly less "hungry" for the wins - but there is still a long way to go.

If Rossi backs off, and Honda and Ducati get their bikes sorted out I can see the likes of Stoner and Pedrosa battling with Lorenzo for next years title.

I don't care who wins as long as the racing is good. :wink: