B-Road Marathon

Fozzie

Date: 9/9/2009

Time: 10:00 - 1:30

Miles Covered: 120

I jumped on the Honda today deciding it deserved a good long hearty run. I set off as I usually do heading directly from my house in Lymm, to the A50 following signs for the A537 which lead into Macclesfield. I don't have any real destination in mind so I head on out but quickly decide the small B-roads between the A50 and Wilmslow passing through Ashley are all too appealing.

Down I go, the sun is shining, the V-twin is being more perky than it usually is and through the twisty lanes I go without a single car ahead of me. Those behind quickly become a dull memory as they slip out of sight of the mirrors. No excessive speeding for me, I'm taking a nice winding route though I have a habit to drop the bike quite low in the corners and though it is smooth and controlled pedestrians throw me a look as if they believe I am some boy racer rocketing towards his death.

Thankfully I'm not, I just corner confidently. I am spat out at the a dual carriageway with the Manchester airport tunnels to my right. Of course I go shooting through them along with a couple of BMW's all struggling to be the first for when the carriageway merges into a single lane. I end up heading up into Wilmslow and then in the town centre I have a choice. Head up the A34 or go towards the A537 into Macclesfield. I know it isn't much of a choice and point my wheels in the direction of the A537.

Within twenty minutes I'm at the mouth of the cat and fiddle. A shadowed road that is all too enticing to speed up. I am alone and there is no one ahead of me. So I open up the Honda and let her breathe. She holds 50mph easily through the cat and fiddle only slowing for the corners. A BMW1200K is impressed a small bike such as a Honda Varadero can keep pace with it through the corners.

At the top the clouds broke and unleashed a beautiful sight...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/3903968932_754271780a.jpg

And not to mention the cafe was littered with beautiful bikes...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3426/3903190481_f0bf78c3e7.jpg

35 miles done and under my belt with little over an hour spent working my way up there. I giggle as I realise my time on the accent was faster than Mr Philgales time was in his car going up the road at quite a pace. I turn left out of the cat and fiddle and head towards Buxton. The roads there are nice and curvy. Perfect for my tastes.

Coming to the Junction where I would usually turn right I see the sign for Matlock and the A6. I've only been to Matlock a couple of times before and that was in the car. So I head down towards what I believed were the best roads this country has to offer. Cruising through on my own in the 50mph limit heading at the fastest pace I can towards Matlock Bath I am in heaven. The roads are long, with sweeping bends and are all engulfed in shadow of the large cliff they sit at the base of or the forrest these roads seem to pass through.

I pull over for a little stop just to text some people and take a couple of pictures.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3422/3903965244_a1565c6c89.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3423/3903186615_b8316a488a.jpg

45 miles now reading on the clocks saying I'm quite a distance away from home seeing as these Hondas have such small engines. But I continue onwards and pass right through Matlock. I'm aiming for Matlock Bath! A place bikers seem to love to meet up and shop as well as chat about how their bike is simply the best. "As stunningly powerful and pretty as your Kawasaki ZX10R is mine is better for the simple fact its a Honda..." I laugh out to the bloke in green leathers after he made fun of my bikes popping noise at idle. He laughs and takes it as a joke as I'd meant it. I wouldn't have got away with that if he'd been a Yamaha rider... :shock:

More pictures...

On the outskirts of Matlock Bath I loved the bowl the area seemed to nestle in.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2538/3903967758_fee51364a8.jpg

And then the 60mile ride home! It was all the same as getting there apart from the cat and fiddle where at a bend, two lorries were going much too slow as well as the three cars behind them. Looking up the hill no one is coming so I lunge on this chance and throw the Honda into the other lane. I dip in low at a corner overtaking all the cars and one of the lorries before I nail it up the hill getting past the leading lorry easily in time for the bend coming up.

I arrived home with the Honda glad to be switched off. I had jumped on junction 19 of the M6 up the junction 20 where my house sits just off. She doesn't like motorways very much :lol:

I wouldn't have got away with that if he'd been a Yamaha rider... :shock:

What's wrong with yammy riders??? Eeehh???

Lol very nice account fozzie, sounds like some nice roads up in your neck of the wood!

I wouldn't have got away with that if he'd been a Yamaha rider... :shock:

What's wrong with yammy riders??? Eeehh???

Lol very nice account fozzie, sounds like some nice roads up in your neck of the wood!

The R6 riders tend to be wannabe hardcore chav riders and they take everything I say badly :lol:

With different bikes you get different personalities of bikers :wink:

And Via Gellia is an awesome road to ride though I never saw it as such. I prefferred my route as its quieter, slightly longer and has the same great bends.

I jumped on the Honda today deciding it deserved a good long hearty run. I set off as I usually do heading directly from my house in Lymm, to the A50 following signs for the A537 which lead into Macclesfield. I don't have any real destination in mind so I head on out but quickly decide the small B-roads between the A50 and Wilmslow passing through Ashley are all too appealing.

Youve probably done this bit to death, but i usually do the road going to Pickmere, starting from High legh garden center (turn right on the A50 from poplars) and just follow that road, short lived though as i usually end up either on the A556 or A559 :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Youve probably done this bit to death, but i usually do the road going to Pickmere, starting from High legh garden center (turn right on the A50 from poplars) and just follow that road, short lived though as i usually end up either on the A556 or A559 :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When you leave the Garden centre, turn right. go all the way to those funny lights that put you on a A556. Go straight on, (through the lights and first left). Go down that road and you can go one of 2 ways to get to this road. Up that national speed limit road on the left theres a small lane. Go down that and at the end take the left but within 2 metres turn right towards tatton park. The other way is to go up the main straight and at the turn where theres a junction turn left. And follow that road till you can turn right down onto a winding country road towards tatton park. Follow this and go straight at the one junction and at the end of it you end up at the manchester airport tunnels.

Then you can turn back or head into wilmslow town centre and follow signs for Macclesfield up the A537, then follow signs for Buxton and hey presto. You're on the Cat and fiddle! I can google map it if you want :lol:

We live in the same town it seems :lol:

What do you ride? I may have seen you. If you see a cocky Honda varadero or a very cheeky white Aprilia RS125 ridden by a rider in a black helmet and a blue jacket and black boots you know its me.

Im not living in Warrington for much longer so I may just have to come out one day and rag it on the RS and show you these places. :D

im on a red YBR,

come to think of it, I litrally lve about 3 miles away from yourself in Thelwall, I did Live in Lymm for most of last year at the Church Green pub (before it became too expensive to walk in there) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ill have to keep a lokout for you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

im on a red YBR,

come to think of it, I litrally lve about 3 miles away from yourself in Thelwall, I did Live in Lymm for most of last year at the Church Green pub (before it became too expensive to walk in there) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ill have to keep a lokout for you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I live a 10 minute walk away from the Church green :shock:

And Ive seen a red YBR around town... I saw it and thought "havent seen many of those up here". Might not have been yours though.